Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake Valve Walnut Blasting - My DIY Experience

I finally got my 2015 running again after some extensive (to me) repairs that I did at home in my garage. At some point in there I popped off the intake manifold and had a peek at the intake valves.

They were pretty nasty looking after 130k+ miles of my typical spirited driving (including several track days and many more fun days driving to ski resorts on snowy mountain roads).

nasty-valve.jpg

They all had build-up, but some of them less so than others.

nasty-valves.jpg

By this point, I was having a myriad of issues including misfires, blown out spark plug threads, and loss of performance. Now I can't attribute all of those symptoms to gunked up valves, but I'm sure the valves weren't helping anything.

I generally followed the set-up described on the Focus ST forums here: https://www.focusst.org/threads/how-to-walnut-blasting-intake-valves.119770/

A few key differences in my approach:
  • I used a lot of frog tape to cover up ports I wasn't blasting. I also used it to cover up any other holes (vacuum lines, bolt holes, etc).
  • I didn't bother laying down blankets. I'm not too keen on keeping things show-ready, it's just not my style! If you want to keep things clean though it's not a bad idea.
  • I used a custom-made adapter similar to the one linked on page 2 of that same thread: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Focus...-Cleaner-Walnut-Blasting-Adapter/113708286072
A note on that adapter: I shot the seller a message asking if he could make one for the 1.6L EcoBoost. He was happy to design and manufacture it for me. I just needed to send him a few photos and measurements of the valve ports, and within a week I had from him two adapters to try. They had slightly different designs, and ultimately I used the black one. (So if you're reading this and looking for an adapter that he doesn't make, even if it's not for a Fiesta, shoot him a message!)

adapters.jpg

The blasting itself was straightforward. I highly recommend using an air compressor with two outputs - one for the walnut blasting, and another with a basic air gun attachment to displace the stubborn bits of walnut that don't want to be vacuumed up. Otherwise if you only have one output/hose you'll have to relieve the pressure, switch tools, set the pressure, blow some air, relieve the pressure, switch tools, set the pressure, blast some more, relieve the pressure, switch tools.... it goes much much faster and you're less likely to cut corners.

adapter-in-use.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the blaster or the air gun in-use. But they go into the hole on top of the adapter. Nothing complicated.

Each valve got repeated walnut blasting followed by blowing out the walnut with compressed air with the shop vac running the whole time, until I was satisfied with the results.

Here is a side-by-side of before and after I cleaned the first two valves.

side-by-side.jpg

All in all, the walnut blasting process itself was tedious but not difficult. I think the hardest part is removing the intake manifold due to everything else that needs to be removed along with it, but between YouTube, forum posts, and service manuals, that part of the job isn't too bad either.

Performance-wise, it feels like a new car again, but like I said earlier there were so many issues that it's hard to gauge how much these valves were hurting things.

I'm no expert, but I've been learning a ton over the past six months (how can anyone afford a mechanic these days!?) and I'm happy to answer questions or go into more detail about any part of it if I can. Hope someone finds this info helpful!