Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Locking Car W/ Fob Inside

Mez

I'm brand new to the forum. This is my first thread. I tried doing a quick google search for my question, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

The dealership took longer than expected to service and detail my "new" 2015 ST. Local Subaru dealer, they took it in on trade. In the mean time they gave me a 2017 Cherokee as a loaner for a week. I went to go for a surf, detached the key from the fob, suited up, went to lock the car with the fob inside, and the Jeep immediately unlocked the doors. Tried it again, same thing. I rolled the dice, hid my phone, cards, and cash and went for a surf anyways. My stuff was all there when I got back.

My Fiesta came without a physical key, which I understand I can get through Ford(if there's a cheaper way, please add to the convo). I was gonna get a key made for when I surf, but is this a useless endeavor? Is it gonna do the same thing as the Jeep did, and auto unlock cause of the fob inside? A friend just bought a BMW X1 and he had this problem - he ended up getting a water proof fob holder that he wears on a lanyard inside of his wetsuit. I don't know if I trust how waterproof it is.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/warning-locking-key-in-car.30518/

I was gonna get a key made for when I surf, but is this a useless endeavor? Is it gonna do the same thing as the Jeep did, and auto unlock cause of the fob inside?
Dunno. That's a good question. I suspect it will, but that needs to be tested.

IIRC it eventually will lock itself with the key still inside but it's on like a ten or thirty minute delay. IIRC when shutting the door it's still going to double-honk and announce to everyone within half-a-mile that there's a Ford with a key still inside. That however is solved with a faraday pouch.

Personally I don't like the idea of leaving the fob inside. On a lone beach some thief might anticipate this behavior and punch out a window.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/time-to-don-the-tin-foil.22933/

Dialcaliper

I'm brand new to the forum. This is my first thread. I tried doing a quick google search for my question, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

The dealership took longer than expected to service and detail my "new" 2015 ST. Local Subaru dealer, they took it in on trade. In the mean time they gave me a 2017 Cherokee as a loaner for a week. I went to go for a surf, detached the key from the fob, suited up, went to lock the car with the fob inside, and the Jeep immediately unlocked the doors. Tried it again, same thing. I rolled the dice, hid my phone, cards, and cash and went for a surf anyways. My stuff was all there when I got back.

My Fiesta came without a physical key, which I understand I can get through Ford(if there's a cheaper way, please add to the convo). I was gonna get a key made for when I surf, but is this a useless endeavor? Is it gonna do the same thing as the Jeep did, and auto unlock cause of the fob inside? A friend just bought a BMW X1 and he had this problem - he ended up getting a water proof fob holder that he wears on a lanyard inside of his wetsuit. I don't know if I trust how waterproof it is.
You can get a physical “valet key” cut that also has the immobilizer chip (that you hold next to the steering column when pressing the button, just like a fob with a dead battery)

Also, there’s the backup metal key inside the fob…

I had a duplicate of the little metal key portion that hides inside the remote, that can open the driver door. If I'm going to do something where I might get wet or catch on fire and don't want my remote to get damaged, I lock the remote inside the car (can be done by manually locking the car from outside, and get back in with the metal key.

The metal key? It just unlocks the driver door. It’s just an emergency key. If your fob battery is dead and you are locked out of the car, you can use the metal key inside the fob to unlock the driver door.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
When you attempt to lock the key in the car, it automatically unlocks the door(s). (may re-lock them on a timer)
If it automatically unlocks multiple doors, the key might not be a solution since it is only the driver door that has a lock cylinder.

^That. once i tried to put my backpack into the trunk and close it, not realizing i had put the key in it. it kept popping open. locking the car with one fob while a fob inside disabled the inside-the-car fob, and you'll need to re-enable it.

the fob is pretty waterproof fwiw. i've been kayaking and whitewater rafting with mine in a zippered pocket and it's been dunked plenty, never skipped a beat.