Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Yet another MTFluid Thread

Just changed my fluid and wanted to share my experience.
I've tried the following and provided their Kinematic viscosity at 100°
Stock -~6
Pentosin FFL4 -7.7
BG Synchroshift 2 -7.11
BG Synchroshift 2 and Ceretec
Motul 300 -14.2

I've found that while a thicker fluid results in less notchiness, clunkiness and noise, going too thick/slippery results in poor synchro performance as the thicker fluid sticks to the synchro and causes mesh issues.
This is what I was finding with Motul 300.
While all of the other options were too thin at around 7 cst, Motul 300 was double at 14.

I know everybody swears by Ravenol MTF 2 and I haven't tried it so I can't knock it but it's viscosity is close to all the other thin ones so I didn't bother.

I mixed 1 quart of 300 with 1.2 quarts of Redline DCTF resulting in a kv100 of 10.06 and it feels perfect for me.
Most of the benefit of thicker fluid with no mesh issue.
They are both GL4 fluids and after research likely fine to mix.
Anyone else experiencing mesh issues especially at high rpm that are running Motul 300 I recommend looking for something in the 10 Cst Kv100 viscosity range.

hawyee

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
I'm using Motul 300 as it was recommended by Wavetrac, no issues so far 5k miles in even when cold.

hawyee

I mean no offense to Whoosh but I'll trust the manufacturer of the diff over a reseller in this case lol. Haven't experienced any of the mesh issues you have including heavy track and autocross use shifts have been butter.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #6
I mean no offense to Whoosh but I'll trust the manufacturer of the diff over a reseller in this case lol. Haven't experienced any of the mesh issues you have including heavy track and autocross use shifts have been butter.
No no I wasn't saying that. I agree with you totally, just pointing out it's probably ok to run a thinner fluid

hawyee

Oh yeah agreed! I wonder why you were having issues with the Motul though

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Generally cooler/colder ambient temps year 'round than where you are located maybe?? [dunno]

I would be a bit wary of mixing two fluids with very different chemical constructions though, as the Red Line DCTF and an actual gear oil like Gear 300 use quite different base stocks and additives.

Maybe mixing a 75W with a 75W-90 from the same manufacturer (like some combination of Ravenol VSG 75W-90 and their MTF-3 75W for example) in order to get a lower cSt KV I would consider. [wink]