Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheel bearing replacement triggers ABS and traction lights

jodyr

Premium Account
Living in an apartment, I have no way to work on my car. I needed a new front right wheel bearing so I purchased a pair of hubs with bearings and had them installed locally. Now, the ABS and traction warning lights are on. The mechanic said it was ok to drive, but these lights are bugging me and I want to find out as much as I can before I take it back to them. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

OP
jodyr

jodyr

Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
If I had to guess they did something to the ABS wheel sensors. Didn't plug them back in, damaged them, something along those lines
I wish I would have just taken it to a Ford dealer. I didn't really save any money buying the parts myself, and now I have this issue to contend with. I wonder how difficult a replacement would be? Any hints appreciated.

What happens is some techs don't remove the sensor when replacing the bearing and damage them. Or they damage them when trying to remove them. They should not have let you leave like that or at least told you they would order a new one and replace it for you FOC. Seems like they weren't taking responsibility for their goof.

OP
jodyr

jodyr

Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
What happens is some techs don't remove the sensor when replacing the bearing and damage them. Or they damage them when trying to remove them. They should not have let you leave like that or at least told you they would order a new one and replace it for you FOC. Seems like they weren't taking responsibility for their goof.
To be fair to the mechanic, he offered to look into it next week, and it seems like it's easy to replace, as soon as I can confirm which side is having the issue. O'Reilly's did not have the gear to read the codes for ABS.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I was servicing the brakes on the motorcycle, which requires that I remove the ABS wheel hub sensors. The manual warned against exposing the sensor to magnets or allowing them (the tip) to come into contact with metal objects.

Slipped out of my hand allowing it to touch the metal swing arm. The sensor had a strong magnetic attraction before touching it to the swing arm. It had no discernible attraction afterwards. I was afraid I had ruined it.

Cleaned all the metal shavings off of it with a dry rang and haven't had any issues with the sensor.

As far as why it had a magnetic attraction, it's probably an electromagnet and that was just a residual charge, dissipated when I inadvertently allowed it to touch the swing arm.

Make sure the tone ring and sensor are free of debris. Make sure the tone ring is still present and undamaged. Make sure the sensor's distance from the tone ring is consistent and the sensor is fully seated. (it's pretty close on the motorcycle)