Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Technics S280

been proven many times, the OEM airbox or equivalent becomes a restriction at about 300hp
Well, prob be right at the threshold then, as that is the target HP range. Guess I will get another intake for track day weekend, keep the ST200 for commuting duty, as dont want the car loud. Going to keep the stock exhaust too for a while, then get a thermal at some point.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Would an LSD and body braces help with torque steer? Traction differences between left/right tire will create kind of a tank-steer effect. But, since it's not a drag car, tweaking the suspension to compensate is kind of out/nuts/cuckoo/wacko/four-candles-short-of-a-menorah.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Los Feliz (In the City of Angels) aka Los Angeles
Would an LSD and body braces help with torque steer? Traction differences between left/right tire will create kind of a tank-steer effect. But, since it's not a drag car, tweaking the suspension to compensate is kind of out/nuts/cuckoo/wacko/four-candles-short-of-a-menorah.
What kinda of body braces? With my car the traction brace and the LSD as well as my SuperPro arms all helped mitigate TQ steer but not get rid of completely now it’s a small wiggle back and forth and then hook. Like was said earlier less stick tires you just burn tire off , stickier tire it grabs and TQ steers more.
With our cars you add lots of HP and TQ steer happens. It was never designed to mitigate TQ steer over 165-180whp stock . Honda spent a lot of money and design to get the Civic Type R to have minimal to none TQ steer at 310hp.
Ford did not do bad with the stock FiST but did not go there beyond that😂 It’s one of the detractions of high HP FiST for me at least. I absolutely hate TQ steer.
Though in that sense at least the S280 did not do the donkey kick of a hybrid which would cause lots of off the line TQ steer.
So ya if you don’t like TQ steer be happy with a close to stock powered FiST or be willing to put up with some. I know I have put up with some . The car was/is still fun and it was fun having that extra unexpected power that always caught people by surprise.
Trade offs one has to live with, with these kinds of mods.

Yeah... was going to say I have urethane bushings in the control arms, 6pt pierce and a helical LSD, and full vibratechnics engine mounts. I think using a clutch type would probably hit both wheels a little more evenly with the massive torque hit, but clutch types are not something that is reasonable IMO for a daily. Even when they are working perfectly you usually only get a finite amount of perfect operation before you get chattering from fluid/friction modifiers wearing out, or the clutches wear out.

oy the mild torque steer from my 2860. One of the benefits of a laggy turbo lol
I wish I would have gotten Cobb Accesstuner before it was pulled so I could do my own tuning. I'd pull out boost until higher up. Maybe another solid reason to go towards S290. Get a little more VE out of the top end by opening up the turbine side and mitigate some more torque steer.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wish I would have gotten Cobb Accesstuner before it was pulled so I could do my own tuning. I'd pull out boost until higher up. Maybe another solid reason to go towards S290. Get a little more VE out of the top end by opening up the turbine side and mitigate some more torque steer.
??? You can still buy AccessPorts. Tuners still tune for them.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Accesstuner is the program to physically tune the car, all the timing maps, boost, fueling, etc. The program that the tuners themselves use.
Ah ya you can still get trained by COBB and certified the difference is in the past you could it without certification now you can’t . It’s not really as much of hindrance as he is making it out to be. Plus the S290 is getting into the size of Garrett’s and much more tunes lie a larger turbo i.e. nothing below 4k and then balls out hard.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even when they are working perfectly you usually only get a finite amount of perfect operation before you get chattering from fluid/friction modifiers wearing out, or the clutches wear out.
Why I was OCD maniacal about over-changing out the gear oil and friction modifier fluid on the rear axle of my (aftermarket, it came with a T2 Torsen diff from the factory) Eaton Posi equipped LS1 Z28. [thumb]

Anyone have an issue with the turbo to manifold studs backing out on their S280?

I was having a boost issue at the track last week (lack of boost and laggy), come to find out 1 stud was completely gone (passenger side, closer to the engine) and the rear most stud had backed all the way out (nut still on stud, but stud no longer threaded into turbo flange).

I used the studs/nuts supplied with the S280 kit for the turbo to manifold connection (cant remember if I loctited theme or not when I installed October of last year), but for the turbo to downpipe studs I used a Whoosh kit and they were all still there and snug.

2 new Whoosh kits on the way (and new gaskets), and I intended to use a plenty of loctite on the studs this time around. Them re-snug after a few heat cycles.

Hasn’t happened to me yet. About 4k miles on setup. I don’t think loctite will help. The red stuff is only effective up to 500f. Those bolts get in excess of 1200F. If anything I used to have to use copper anti seize which is good up to 2000F to make it possible to separate the mani and turbo later on.

I’ve only had trouble with turbo bolts getting loose once and that was with an Iron mani mated to a SS turbine housing. I didn’t really take note of the S280 turbine housing but it seemed to be iron? Maybe try running a tap thru the threads to make sure they’re clean and the studs are fully seated. I used my factory hardware for install.

What’s weird is for me, torque steer seems less pronounced than on the stock turbo. Maybe it because torque is much more linear now. Not really tuned for a massive torque hit down low but just a nice steady pull the crescendo’s at rpm climbs. Def a different feel around town.

Ah ya you can still get trained by COBB and certified the difference is in the past you could it without certification now you can’t . It’s not really as much of hindrance as he is making it out to be. Plus the S290 is getting into the size of Garrett’s and much more tunes lie a larger turbo i.e. nothing below 4k and then balls out hard.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it isn't being hindered.... it just straight isn't available. I know originally it was tune at your own peril. Then they had prerequisite of taking the EFI Tuning Class. Now their isn't even that option at least not that I'm seeing. Link is completely dead on the website https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accesstuner . You can be a Cobb Pro Tuner, or you don't get the keys to the castle. Seems like only useable solution now is HPTuners, but that software makes me hate life. I have to use it for my CTS-V.

All I'm saying.... if I had the software I'd have my car tuned differently than the tuner I'm using has it setup like.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Not trying to be argumentative, but it isn't being hindered.... it just straight isn't available. I know originally it was tune at your own peril. Then they had prerequisite of taking the EFI Tuning Class. Now their isn't even that option at least not that I'm seeing. Link is completely dead on the website https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accesstuner . You can be a Cobb Pro Tuner, or you don't get the keys to the castle. Seems like only useable solution now is HPTuners, but that software makes me hate life. I have to use it for my CTS-V.

All I'm saying.... if I had the software I'd have my car tuned differently than the tuner I'm using has it setup like.
Hit up Westley @ Phul performance. He has his own tuning software that runs on your laptop and connects through a tactrix open source dongle.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I just pulled the trigger on his tune. A pump tune and a E40 tune for $270 can’t be beat. I’m going to try him out. I’m tuning through the accesport, tho
Accessport works just fine it’s just more limited on capabilities after the “greenspeed” update. Let us know how it goes!