Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo/DP/Manifold Locking Hardware Upgrade Options

Hey guys,

Recently realized my boost levels were lower than usual, and I was hearing the telltale hiss from my engine bay while driving, so I had a suspicion than I had an exhaust leak up front. I’m running an S280 with a Whoosh DP, and replaced all of the factory manifold studs and nuts with brand new ones when I installed the turbo. It had been a while since I’d tightened everything up.

Under the car I found that one of my turbo to downpipe studs had backed itself out and was lost forever on a road somewhere, along with the nut. Assuming it was the obvious culprit, I replaced this with some nice titanium hardware but the pesky hiss persisted. So I checked the nuts/studs at the manifold to head and the manifold to turbo flange. Found all 4 lateral-most nuts on the head-manifold studs were a bit loose, so I snugged em up.

Of the manifold to turbo flange studs, one was still fine, one was a bit loose, and one was VERY loose, on its way to joining its buddy on a highway shoulder. Snugged these up too, and lo and behold: no more hiss, boost levels back to normal, car sounding and feeling like it hasn’t in a while!

Which leads me to the obvious question…how do I prevent this happening again? I don’t want to keep slowly losing power and dealing with loose hardware that I have to address once every few months. Obviously using loctite on exhaust hardware is insanity, but given the seeming tendency of some of these studs/nuts to vibrate loose, it almost seems plausible.

What are yall doing for your own cars? Locking hardware kits? Tips/tricks?

Same thing happened to me with the s280 install.

Saw a video where you blow into the exhaust pipe with a shop-vac and listen for hissing. Found it! It was a huge hiss!! The manifold to turbo was barely hanging on! Turbo to downpipe was a little loose too.
See the screenshots and get these.

Also get 'prevailing torque lock nuts', making sure it's all metal, not with the nylon.

I replaced the 6 studs using the ceramic locker when installing the studs and on the nuts. The ceramic lock says to heat the joined components and I used propane torch. And you don't have to get crazy hot on it.

I think the key was really the lock nuts as they're designed not to back out in a vibration environment.

Attachments