Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TT S280 Fitment Issue

Hey guys,

Long time listener, first time caller. I have a '14 FiST that I slapped an S280 kit on about 18 months ago. Ive put about 25k miles on it and its held up beautifully. My favorite car I've ever owned (even over my FoRS and GT350).

Started hearing a hissing sound from the front end a few days ago. Drivability is still on point, seemed slightly down on boost around 24-25 PSI, but I chalked it up to being super hot the last couple of weeks. Normally I peak around 26-27, 28 in the winter.

Thought it might be a pesky exhaust leak (which is funny because when I peaked under the car, I noticed one of the turbo to downpipe studs had relieved itself of duty and is somewhere on a highway right meow...thats another issue for another post). Upon inspection, I realized that the compressor outlet hose (the 3-outlet one that goes to the boost solenoid/vacuum block as well as the hot side IC pipe) started being eaten away at the end of the hose by the clamp rubbing it and, presumably, struggling to hold it against the compressor outlet bead. It seemed like it had just slipped off enough to allow a little leak, which explains the hissing and minor drop in boost.

I'm trying to reinstall in in a way that prevents this from happening further, but the stupid hose is molded in such a way that if you push it all the way onto the compressor outlet like it should be, the hose is literally sitting against the passenger side axle and would die a shredded rubbery death in no time. I previously avoided this by installing it in a way that positions it slightly more out of the way, but now thats obviously proven to not be a solution in the long run.

So, my question: has anyone else running an S280 kit had this issue with this hose position? I'm pretty frustrated that TT manufactured it this way...I've messed with the adjacent hoses a bit to try and finagle it, but no dice. I dont want to just stick it on at a skewed angle again and risk further boost leaks and the hose eventually fraying to the point of needing replacement.

Ideas anyone?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Do you have any photos of how it was installed that caused the problem? I had no such issue with my s280 before switching turbos. I wonder if your RMM is shot and your engine is rocking to the extent that it caused this wear.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Do you have any photos of how it was installed that caused the problem? I had no such issue with my s280 before switching turbos. I wonder if your RMM is shot and your engine is rocking to the extent that it caused this wear.
I don’t at the moment; went back under the car and tried to situate it better. It’s holding…for now. Gonna replace the worm gear clamp with a high quality T bolt for that connection.

FWIW, I reached out to Ron of Whoosh to see if he had had this issue on anyone’s car. He said he hadn’t, but that the hose did need to be angled appropriately to clear the axle, which is ridiculous on TT’s part. A bandaid fix for a kit that’s been on the market for 4 years…those little grommets that are part of securing the aluminum hot side pipe to the oil pan lasted about 6 months before they disintegrated. That allows the pipe to move some, even with a bit of a DIY fix in place. This definitely puts some stress on the hose and clamp.

Good chance the RMM is fine; it’s a Mountune unit and has only seen about 30k miles.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I don’t at the moment; went back under the car and tried to situate it better. It’s holding…for now. Gonna replace the worm gear clamp with a high quality T bolt for that connection.

FWIW, I reached out to Ron of Whoosh to see if he had had this issue on anyone’s car. He said he hadn’t, but that the hose did need to be angled appropriately to clear the axle, which is ridiculous on TT’s part. A bandaid fix for a kit that’s been on the market for 4 years…those little grommets that are part of securing the aluminum hot side pipe to the oil pan lasted about 6 months before they disintegrated. That allows the pipe to move some, even with a bit of a DIY fix in place. This definitely puts some stress on the hose and clamp.

Good chance the RMM is fine; it’s a Mountune unit and has only seen about 30k miles.
Don’t be so sure on the RMM! My mountune was shot around that point. Polyurethane doesn’t fare well so close to the downpipe. Vibratechnics and Cpe use rubber for this reason.

Maybe I didn’t have the issue you’re experiencing because I had the Peron s282 kit. Who knows