Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thoughts on Fiesta versus new Civic Si?

Any thoughts on how they will compare acceleration, handling, etc. wise? Any general thoughts? I'm definitely thinking about getting one of those two cars.

Thanks!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is Honda known for Turbo vehicles? Nope....id say it will be a little bit before they REALLY figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
^^^ the above statement is true; Focus ST is the competition. If you like power, the Focus ST has a lot more.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
The new Civic Si is a nice car and with the turbo there's alot more torque. Like what was stated above they aren't direct competitors due to the size difference.

Is Honda known for Turbo vehicles? Nope....id say it will be a little bit before they REALLY figure it out.
they may not be well known for it, but they have put it in practice. for example, the Acura RDX. turbocharging engines these days is pretty well sorted out tech. and let's face it, Honda has a better reputation for reliability, but truth be told I didn't buy a Ford for reliability.

this is an interesting question, but ultimately a comparison between apples and oranges. but hey, who doesn't love food for thought?
  • the Si is larger and heavier but Honda know a thing or two about suspensions.
  • the ergonomics on the Fiesta is pretty awful. a car this size has to be a fit for people of all sizes so there were compromises like the I'm-in-an-booster-seat seating position.
  • in the larger Si one can only imagine a better cockpit experience for the driver.
  • on overboost, the ST makes similar power, but outputs more torque.
  • the ST has fun factor, which me personally i found lacking in the Si when i drove one a decade ago. hopefully Honda's formula for a quick pocket rocket has improved since then. the only way you'll know is by test driving it.

if you want to wait a little the next ST will be a 1.5L three-banger making the same amount of power. but better yet, you should cross shop the Focus ST and GTI with the Civic Si instead.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Honda reliability is a myth just like bigfoot...have you ever owned a civic with a 1.7? Their make is in the tank and trying to play catchup in performance world. I'm afraid it's alittle too late...everypne else is at the forefront of turbo world where they are still stuck in early 2000 with fast and furious.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I'm 6'1" and 275lbs and I don't have any issues with the Fiestas ergonomics or the seats. I have the Recaro seats and they are awesome. Too each his own though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Honda reliability is a myth just like bigfoot...have you ever owned a civic with a 1.7? Their make is in the tank and trying to play catchup in performance world. I'm afraid it's alittle too late...everypne else is at the forefront of turbo world where they are still stuck in early 2000 with fast and furious.

I tend to agree with you, but given the JDM YO!/Nippon nameplate worship on this site; [popcorn] [doorpeek]

With a tune the new Civic Si could be respectable being that it is light for its class and includes an LSD. Its acceleration is probably on par with the the Fiesta's. The previous gen had a very nannied/electronic feel to it. Which is fine, just not my thing. Feels neutral until you drive a FiST, and then your mind is blown. Not expecting the new gen to be anything different.

With the Si Civics I found it is the perfect car for people who want something quick, manual, cheap, normal, generic. They grew up with "V-TEC yo" and Japan = Quality. Which is fine. But it borders on bland. Honda only continues making it because it sells. It sells because it is the safe choice. It is the Camry of FWD performance cars. Which again, is fine. My biggest gripe is that the Si comes off as a focus-group engineered profit project, where as the STs, and especially Abarth are more "what the hell, lets do it" . It does not have character, with an Abarth being 9.75 "Italian", the FiST 9, FoRS 8, the FoST/GTI/WRX/Type R all a 7, the Si is a solid 4.5, "Needs Improvement". The character, same with the Camry, is found in its many origami folds.

The Civic Si, eh.... its fine. Of course most of this is based on the last gen. I'll update when I test drive a 17.

The only thing I really hate about it is how bloated it is when remembering 90s Honda and what could have been.

i have been under the hood of a couple of 1.7L civics, everybody and their grandmother has one. V6 hondas actually have a worse rap sheet but Japanese brands still dominate reliability charts. if you want to trade reliability anecdotes, i was at the dealer 3 separate times for warranty repairs within 4 months of owning my Fiesta ST. i was pissed, this shouldn't happen on a car with < 10k miles BUT if I bought car solely based on reliability i couldn't look at myself in the mirror.

I'm 6'1" and 275lbs and I don't have any issues with the Fiestas ergonomics or the seats. I have the Recaro seats and they are awesome. Too each his own though.
i'm 5'7", 140 lbs, and the steering wheel adjustment is never in a good position, the radio and climate controls are too far away, the doors open waaaay too wide--i refuse to step back out of the car just to grab the door handles, and I haven't even talked about outward visibility. i mean i can go on but once the Fiesta starts moving, you just forget about anything else.

Don't get me wrong here. clearly the OP came to a Fiesta forum to hear the positives, and it's been positive, but I'm just trying to be unbiased.

also, the Si has an LSD. We get that torque vectoring control, which is really marketing speak for computer aided braking.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As I always say....You can polish a Turd/1.7L Honda engine so much....In the end it's still a Turd. The 1.5.....1.6...1.8 decent quality engines. The 1.7L is a syphillitic abortion of a pygmy grudge fuck. End of story....(steps off soap box).🤘

Last edited:

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Either way you look at it though, the Civic is in the Focus class. This should be compared to the Focus not the Fiesta...

Now if they come out with a Fit Si...at this point I have to say, sorry, I'm not interested. I can't get past its "wannabe" prius looks to even think about talking about whatever they may happen to be saying about it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That and everything I've seen in Fits for parts wise is weird and expensive considering it's and economy model....sordove ironic.

Base LX Civics are 2 liter DOHC with 158 horses. The EX-T has a 1.5 liter DOHC intercooled turbo with 174 horsepower. These are NON Si versions .