Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Siesta - I'm being an idiot again and again...

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #21
Might as well update with what happened. I forgot to put in the shims so had to take off the head again. I then found out the shims were shipped in 2 different thicknesses. The thick ones needed a little file on the edge to be slit into the block. They weren't overly tight but installed them a little below the deck surface to be sure they didn't interfere with the headgasket when mounting the head. Victor Reinz headgasket P/N: 61-10236-00
block01.jpg block02.jpg

When installing headstuds I used this Philips head to put in the shims and nuts. Used a socked to start the nuts Made quick work of getting all nuts and shims in their correct places.
block03.jpg block04.jpg block05.jpg block06.jpg

Used the factory torque specs with 90 degree turns and not the ARP specs.
block07.jpg

To mount the cams the end piece calls for some gasket material. I used Loctite 574 which I believe should meet WSS-M2G348-A11.
block08.jpg block09.jpg block10.jpg

I used a brand new Continental belt. P/N: CT881. Reused the old waterpump which is in excellent knick(less than 10.000km). As well as the tensioner. No wear at all. Don't mind the butchered thread on the intake VVT cover. It tightens just perfectly, removing it is a bitch though. Tightening the balancer had me hanging off my breaker bar to get the extra 15 degrees.
block11.jpg block12.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Would you (or anyone else) also recommend the Conti serpentine accessory belt as well (over the OEM Motorcraft or Bando belts)??

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #23
I've used Conti timing, serpentinebelt and waterpump on my 1.0 EcoBoost and have had no problems with quality. I have a brand new Conti serpentine belt for my 1.6L as well, when time comes.
The waterpump I have on my 1.6L is a Dayco as was my older belts. No problems with them either. Have been using Dayco to great success before.

Last edited:
OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #24
It's starting to get somewhere. Engine mount, exhaust manifold, HPFP mount, vacuum pump mount, valvecover and a PumaSpeed oversized waterpump pulley mounted. To use the oversized waterpump pulley with aircondition you need a 6 ribbed belt at 1580mm. P/N originally supplied by PumaSpeed was a Dayco 6PK1580S.
All surfaces required by the manual(HPFP mount, vacuum pump mount and corners of the valvecover gasket) has been given some Loctite 574.
engine.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That pulley under-drives the water pump, correct?

You can get away with that in your climate, most of us here south of the northern tier states/Canadian border, sadly, cannot. [:(]

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #27
That pulley under-drives the water pump, correct?

You can get away with that in your climate, most of us here south of the northern tier states/Canadian border, sadly, cannot. [:(]
The pulley both is larger and lighter, it's aluminium and much lighter than the original. I will be pairing it with an upgraded radiator. Still undecided in which, but so far the PumaSpeed offering is the thickest with 45mm core and cheapest. The other offering is an Airtec one which is only 40mm core and more expensive. Still undecided in if I would go with a stock or lower temp thermostat. I have both.

This build is wild, wouldn’t even know where to start! Are you a mechanic or self taught?
I just do it, as Nike has always taught me :)
Not an educated mechanic I just follow the manual and have an ok mechanical understanding and an eagerness to learn and do it myself.

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #28
Had a few productive days with the car. Pressure washed the enginebay with some degreaser. The car is under coated in anti-rust from Dinitrol so it is still sticky in many places. Engine is in, front is still off. Electronics is connected. Found my exhaust hangers are cracked hard and need a new set. Just put a PumaSpeed radiator and OE front brake pads on order. And some Castrol 5W30(used my last 5W20 on the 1.0L EcoBoost recently. It ran 30.000km on the old oil, not optimal, but she pulled through fine). Turn of the key, on my own work, is getting closer. Cross your fingers first start isn't one big explosion.
engine01.jpg
engine02.jpg

I am very jealous of all you guys having indoor garages with smooth clean level floors. Getting the car around a sharp corner using a jack on the backend to make the turn. Damn uneven surface had the jack strand on a tiny hump. Had to push and pull a 100 turn maneuver with no power steering.

How’s the quality of the Pumaspeed radiator? I couldn’t find any reviews and ended up going with the Airtec one. The Pumaspeed one is so cheap!

Do you have any plans when it’s all done? A trip to the ring perhaps?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am very jealous of all you guys having indoor garages with smooth clean level floors. Getting the car around a sharp corner using a jack on the backend to make the turn. Damn uneven surface had the jack strand on a tiny hump. Had to push and pull a 100 turn maneuver with no power steering.
Still better than having NO PLACE to work on your car, at all!!

So, very jealous of YOU, being able to do maintenance/upgrades without having to look over your shoulder at the same time. [wink]

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #31
How’s the quality of the Pumaspeed radiator? I couldn’t find any reviews and ended up going with the Airtec one. The Pumaspeed one is so cheap!

Do you have any plans when it’s all done? A trip to the ring perhaps?
When I get it I will tell you. Put it on on order sunday and after brexit, customs and taxes will have their greedy hands on it. Why I didn't go with the Airtec one, the £180 price increase was a bit steep when tax and customs get a hold of it too.

One day the ring is in my future, but just a touristenfahrten. I have never been on track before in a car, only rental go-karts. Steep learning curve, but let's see if it will become a regular thing one day.

Still better than having NO PLACE to work on your car, at all!!

So, very jealous of YOU, being able to do maintenance/upgrades without having to look over your shoulder at the same time. [wink]
When you put it like that, yeah I can appreciate it, and I do, don't get me wrong. Doesn't make me less jealous of a proper shop though :)

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #32
PumaSpeed radiator. Packaging was excellent. Build is good with provisions for bleedport and all you need.
It is as I like it, not pristine, but is a thick boi with performance in mind. I snapped some pictures of how it looks close up.
It's a perfect fit for me as I'm not building a pristine queen here. Down and dirty, hopefully working, fun pocket sized rocket.

Attachments

OP
daloonie
Thread Starter #33
Found a few little things while mounting it. The upper left tap, for the fan, was mounted a little inwards. Nothing a little dremeling and filing couldn't solve.
The mount for the bleed valve was a little long and the stock bleed valve couldn't mount without a little filing.
The taps are metal and bendy, they will NOT last forever. So do not expect them to survive removal and remounting of the radiator forever or might I say, even 20 times.

Other than that, fit is practically stock. The A/C radiator mounted perfectly and maybe a little snug. It fit easy into the stock rubber mounts and into the front assembly.

Attachments