Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Starter failing?

2014 with 97.5k miles, bone stock engine.

This click click start thing is happening with increasing frequency, probably every 3 starts now. You can see the lights dim each time it clicks. It always starts eventually.

The battery is about 4 months old. I also swapped out the starter relay in the fuse box with no change.

Anyone else experience something similar? Sounds like some folks have had it click and not start but I didn't see any clicking then starting. I guess the battery could be bad or not fully charging but I'm worried it's the starter.

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Fob battery is new but I did NOT reset the BMS. Will try that tonight and report back!

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
Did the BMS reset last night and it started with no clicks this morning. Drove about 15 mins, turned the car off for 5 minutes, then 5 clicks before starting. Maybe I need to drive longer to get the system calibrated.

I have it on a trickle charger now. I'll be interested to see if it still clicks with a measured full battery.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
After you charge it up you should perform the reset again. The battery module adjusts to the state of the battery to determine how much and how fasts it's going to charge the battery, so if it had been keeping the new battery at the level of the old battery, it would adjust upwards after you charge the battery up.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
After you charge it up you should perform the reset again. The battery module adjusts to the state of the battery to determine how much and how fasts it's going to charge the battery, so if it had been keeping the new battery at the level of the old battery, it would adjust upwards after you charge the battery up.
Oh that's good input! I'll do that

Intuit

3000 Post Club
When you say clicks, I'm thinking of the blend door actuator.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...cking-sound-part-numbers-video-install.22458/
It is typically the driver side one that goes bad.
Replace with a Dorman brand instead of OEM.

If you're talk'n about the ding'n, the BCM security system often creates "inexplicable" dings however it's a three count and not five. For the three count, opening and closing all monitored entry points (including hood and hatch) seems to satisfy the security system. Dunno what the five dings is. In that regard, TyphoonFIST is the logical first suspicion. For whatever reason the BCM's status messages don't always seem to be displayed onscreen. Despite a service bulletin, the dealer could never get mine to display oil monitor reset status messages.

OP
S
Thread Starter #10
When was the last time you changed your key Fob battery?
After tinkering with everything, this was the culprit. Janky Amazon battery was already low. The car would start every single time with the fob next to the button and made 3-5 solenoid clicks if I leave it in my pocket.

I'd have to say I don't understand this mechanism at all. Why would it try to start at all with a low fob battery? In prior cars, I would get a "low key battery" warning and it just wouldn't start.

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
When you say clicks, I'm thinking of the blend door actuator.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...cking-sound-part-numbers-video-install.22458/
It is typically the driver side one that goes bad.
Replace with a Dorman brand instead of OEM.

If you're talk'n about the ding'n, the BCM security system often creates "inexplicable" dings however it's a three count and not five. For the three count, opening and closing all monitored entry points (including hood and hatch) seems to satisfy the security system. Dunno what the five dings is. In that regard, TyphoonFIST is the logical first suspicion. For whatever reason the BCM's status messages don't always seem to be displayed onscreen. Despite a service bulletin, the dealer could never get mine to display oil monitor reset status messages.
It's funny, I couldn't find anyone with a similar problems because every reference to "clicking" had to do with the actuators. My passenger side went out a few months ago and is/was a different click. Lots of clicks these little cars make!

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you're getting five dings from the BCM, it's a good idea to read the codes. The parts stores might read them no charge. If you like tools, can pickup an OBD II adapter on Amazon and run ForScan.

I suspect the low battery message only applies when it is still able to function or is being detected. For example, if we just removed the battery entirely, it probably wouldn't have a chance to transmit a low battery status to the vehicle.

Either the remote isn't functioning or it isn't being detected or was inadvertently swapped which means it's programmed for a different vehicle.

As mentioned, there may be cases where the BCM is unable to have its or certain status messages displayed on the APIM screen.

There are two or three antennae that I'm aware of but they shouldn't be an issue unless they or their wiring were disturbed. See here...
Removed Headliner - Interesting Side Effects...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/headliner-removed-interesting-side-effects.23500/
Passive Anti Theft Security (PATS)...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/keyless-physical-buttons-stopped-working.32598/
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-fiesta-st-today.1441/post-504323