Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Several Failed Attempts Installing Spark Plugs

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello. I watched some videos to see if it was doable for me, ordered the NKG spark plugs, bought the 14 mm 12 point deep socket, the extension and the torque wrench, everything was set to a easy adventure, removed the cover, removed the coil, and attempted to take put the first spark plug, and to my surprise nothing came out, so I started to investigate and it seems that the tube where the spark plug is sitting on gets narrower down there and my socket can't reach the spark plug, is that right? Did I get the worng socket? I tested the socket on the new plugs and it fits perfectly, but it just can't reach it, this is the socket I got.
Should've Bought a 6-point socket less Chance for Rounding anything off*

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also; I would seek out the absolutely thinnest wall 6 point, spark plug use specific socket I could find.

You are not putting that much torque into it (unless the plugs are cold-welded into the head, in which case you have bigger problems), so a thick walled impact socket is NOT needed, and will not fit down into the plug wells.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yeah and with the advent of ratcheting box wrench tools, they're even more useless. Albeit, the heads on those are a little fat to get into some spaces.

Dialcaliper

12-point is useless in socket form. 🙄
Hah. 12-point sockets are good for exactly one thing, and that’s 12-point ARP bolts. That and completely bizzare non-automotive square head bolts/nuts when you don’t have an 8-point in your set.

Oh, I left out one thing - if I recall, I once used a cheap large 12-point because it was the perfect size for pressing out a rubber bushing 🤣