Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280 and ZERO boost!

Had the turbo in since last December, Car has ran AWESOME this entire time. Its my daily and WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!!! Drive awesome home from work Friday. Didnt drive it saturday and went out Sunday and NO BOOST, Got in to it and found the rod on the wastegate loose and ultimately broken and stuck open. I did do the wastegate upgrade with the turbo so I still had the original wastegate from the turbo upgrade (comes with the standard) so we threw that in. It seemed to fix it for a second but right back to it. Reflashed the whole nine.... I am at a loss. Wastegate issues for ever?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Los Feliz (In the City of Angels) aka Los Angeles
Had the turbo in since last December, Car has ran AWESOME this entire time. Its my daily and WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!!! Drive awesome home from work Friday. Didnt drive it saturday and went out Sunday and NO BOOST, Got in to it and found the rod on the wastegate loose and ultimately broken and stuck open. I did do the wastegate upgrade with the turbo so I still had the original wastegate from the turbo upgrade (comes with the standard) so we threw that in. It seemed to fix it for a second but right back to it. Reflashed the whole nine.... I am at a loss. Wastegate issues for ever?
sounds like your wastegate is sticking open possibly broke the rod because the vacuum was trying to actuate it and it would not move . How the hell that would happen though is beyond me. How many miles on the car?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Los Feliz (In the City of Angels) aka Los Angeles
80k miles. New wastegate and went right back to zero boost.
Actuator or wastegate itself . You probably mean new actuator . The actual wastegate is a metal door in the exhaust housing section of your Turbo that relies of the actuator to hold it closed until it is pushed open by the actuator which is controlled by vacuum . Functioning properly it opens up to release boost pressure at a certain psi so you do not damage the Turbo. Was your gas mileage bad before this happened ? That’s one of the signs of failure.

When you say zero boost, do you literally mean no boost at all or just low boost? Even with the wastegate fully open, I doubt the wastegate port flows enough for the turbo to make zero boost. If you actually have zero boost, the broken wastegate may be a symptom of a larger problem. Did you check that the wastegate arm moves freely and completely when you swapped actuators? Also, can you hear any induction noise from the turbo?

OP
wcnST
Thread Starter #8
No turbo noise at all but it does spin. So the wastegate was stuck open. We got it to close but then the arm came off. So we took the wastegate off and put the stock one back on made sure everything "worked" and when we fired it up you could hear the turbo like before. Pulled out of the drive way and no boost again. So negative booost to 0.0 on the gauges is it.

May need to pop the downpipe off to get a look at the turbine side of the turbo. I don't know how it could do so, but maybe the cap on the wastegate flap came off or is loose? Basically leaving the wastegate passage fully open all the time.

1726599102480.png

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Need to take off the DP and visually inspect the Turbine on the Turbo and then use a Vacuum pump on the Wastegate actuator to see if it will Push the wastegate open at the Psi specified for the actuator.

Last edited: