Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S 280 Overboosting

Hi Guys.I fitted an S 280 in May and have been chasing an overboost issue ... I'm in Africa and car is remote tuned by a company in the UK .. my car boosts 1.8/ 1.9 bar on a 1.45 bar map .. I've fitted a new boost control solenoid and we tested the supplied TT waste gate/ actuator which seems to be working as it should . I live Inland 5428 feet above sea level . I drove 400 km to the coast and the car was boosting exactly as it should with a 1.45 bar and 1.65 bar map .. as soon as I reached higher altitude the fiesta is overboosting again .. this time probably harder than previously ..
Any ideas please?

If you are going to be driving in different altitudes you need to ask you tuner to limit boost based on barometric pressures or you will over boost and grenade the engine.

Are you looking at MAP or Boost data item? What does your Baro data item read when you are at altitude? If you are looking at MAP it should be pretty consistent. If you are looking at Boost... i would expect atleast 20kPa, or .2 bar more boost at elevation. 1.45/1.65 bar boost is very conservative at sea level in my opinion. I think the tuner has you setup as that for the basis. So then it comes down to if you feel comfortable spinning the turbo faster. The amount of airmass and fuel will be the same and felt the same to your car, so it really isn't any harder on it at the combustion event besides the ever so slightly higher charge temperature from the turbo working harder to compress less air.

If you don't want to run 1.8/1.9 boost pressure at altitude you will have to ask for a retune because it was a miscommunication, but I would say this is a non issue IMO. Watch IAT's, OAR, and ignition timing and let that be the guide if you are having issues.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Are you looking at MAP or Boost data item? What does your Baro data item read when you are at altitude? If you are looking at MAP it should be pretty consistent. If you are looking at Boost... i would expect atleast 20kPa, or .2 bar more boost at elevation. 1.45/1.65 bar boost is very conservative at sea level in my opinion. I think the tuner has you setup as that for the basis. So then it comes down to if you feel comfortable spinning the turbo faster. The amount of airmass and fuel will be the same and felt the same to your car, so it really isn't any harder on it at the combustion event besides the ever so slightly higher charge temperature from the turbo working harder to compress less air.

If you don't want to run 1.8/1.9 boost pressure at altitude you will have to ask for a retune because it was a miscommunication, but I would say this is a non issue IMO. Watch IAT's, OAR, and ignition timing and let that be the guide if you are having issues.
Thank you so much for the reply . I have 2 maps 1.45 bar and 1.65 bar maps .. I've never seen this ever on my boost guage ..it always overboosted up to 1.9 it's like there is no control over the boost ... the tuner is busy with now ... hopefully he gets it sorted out .

Thank you so much for the reply . I have 2 maps 1.45 bar and 1.65 bar maps .. I've never seen this ever on my boost guage ..it always overboosted up to 1.9 it's like there is no control over the boost ... the tuner is busy with now ... hopefully he gets it sorted out .
Who are you tuned with?
Im based in the UK and a lot of tuners are not great and would avoid them on a bigger turbo

Most stage 2 maps are fine but when you uprate the turbo.. a lot of tuners arent great

Let me know who mapped it and will tell you if they are trust worthy

Who are you tuned with?

Im based in the UK and a lot of tuners are not great and would avoid them on a bigger turbo

Most stage 2 maps are fine but when you uprate the turbo.. a lot of tuners arent great

Let me know who mapped it and will tell you if they are trust worthy

Please dont say you are using one the following

TRS
Peron
Pumaspeed

Hi ...Mate . I won't mention a name .. These things happen I suppose , could be anything. Hopefully he gets it sorted soon ...
Thats fair enough
Please just take my advice from someone over here and who works along side and speaks to most uk tuners

Most upgraded turbo builds with a lot of tuners do not last

See it every day

The amount of tuners who disable the safety features to brag about peak bhp figures is very worrying

Last edited: