Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reliability Concerns?

Howdy! I'm looking at purchasing a FiST this summer. The upper end of my budget is about $12k, so I'm mostly looking at 2014-16s w/ around 80k-100k miles. I'm aware that the FiST doesn't have any major reliability concerns, but I just wanted to see what peoples' experiences were at higher mileage and with older models. Thanks for your help!

P.S., I'm in California; if anyone is interested in selling for about my budget, please feel free to reach out.

I think you will enjoy the car a lot, it's one of the great performance bargains of all time, so good luck on your search. The cars have proven to be quite reliable. Mine has low mileage so I can't help you there, but there are plenty of members reporting high mileage and dramatically increased horsepower, with the cars still being quite reliable.
There was a recall on certain '14 and '15 models for a defect in the cylinder head which could cause a coolant leak which could start a fire.The recall didn't replace the head, it just installed a new sensor and a few other parts, so if you do look at models during that time you may want to check and see if they are subject to the recall.
The only other issue which people frequently report is the HVAC blend door actuators can go out and start clicking. There are three of them, two are pretty easy to replace and one doesn't go out much. This issue isn't unique to Fords.
Two things that make me feel good about the reliability of the car are that first, the engines in our cars were or are used virtually stock in Formula Ford. As the video below will show, the car is also able to stand up to the extreme demands of rallying in virtually stock form. This is my favorite video to post for new or perspective members.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1nkR8pkX4&list=FLur65YQuzud3gXqwZTZTrxQ&index=10

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
I think you will enjoy the car a lot, it's one of the great performance bargains of all time, so good luck on your search. The cars have proven to be quite reliable. Mine has low mileage so I can't help you there, but there are plenty of members reporting high mileage and dramatically increased horsepower, with the cars still being quite reliable.
There was a recall on certain '14 and '15 models for a defect in the cylinder head which could cause a coolant leak which could start a fire.The recall didn't replace the head, it just installed a new sensor and a few other parts, so if you do look at models during that time you may want to check and see if they are subject to the recall.
The only other issue which people frequently report is the HVAC blend door actuators can go out and start clicking. There are three of them, two are pretty easy to replace and one doesn't go out much. This issue isn't unique to Fords.
Two things that make me feel good about the reliability of the car are that first, the engines in our cars were or are used virtually stock in Formula Ford. As the video below will show, the car is also able to stand up to the extreme demands of rallying in virtually stock form. This is my favorite video to post for new or perspective members.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1nkR8pkX4&list=FLur65YQuzud3gXqwZTZTrxQ&index=10
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've heard about the coolant issues and the improvements made in the 16+ models. I'm trying my best to get something with the reliability improvements but 16s stretch my budget, so I wanted to see what the reliability of 14s and 15s were. Also, cool about the rallying prowess of the ST. I drive like an asshole and I plan to rip around backcountry roads in this thing, so it's good to know it'll stand up to my mechanical unsympathy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've heard about the coolant issues and the improvements made in the 16+ models. I'm trying my best to get something with the reliability improvements but 16s stretch my budget, so I wanted to see what the reliability of 14s and 15s were. Also, cool about the rallying prowess of the ST. I drive like an asshole and I plan to rip around backcountry roads in this thing, so it's good to know it'll stand up to my mechanical unsympathy.
I was ripping around some backcountry roads today, and greatly enjoyed it.

Also, cool about the rallying prowess of the ST. I drive like an asshole and I plan to rip around backcountry roads in this thing, so it's good to know it'll stand up to my mechanical unsympathy.
I have had mine on actual rally stage forestry roads, some of which are most likely much, MUCH rougher than what you will be on in Cali, while working/volunteering on the east coast ARA rallies.

The factory stock suspension (as long as none of the dampers are blown out/leaking) is surprisingly great in those bombed-out from overloaded logging trucks and tough winters/rainy seasons, road conditions. [thumb] [driving]

But of course it is given that I had strong 15" wheels with strong side wall winter tires on for these events, since I would not even attempt to drive down those roads on the factory 'rubber band profile' wheel/tire setup. [wink]

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a 2014 with 109,000 miles on it. It's a pretty mild tune compared to a lot of others out there, but I let it rip whenever I get the chance. Only one recall and that was for door latches. Had the camshaft timing belt and the other two, water pump and thermostat done at 107,000 rather than wait until the 150,000 mark. Peace of mind for later. Otherwise, no complaints. Hope you find a good one to enjoy!

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
I have a 2014 with 109,000 miles on it. It's a pretty mild tune compared to a lot of others out there, but I let it rip whenever I get the chance. Only one recall and that was for door latches. Had the camshaft timing belt and the other two, water pump and thermostat done at 107,000 rather than wait until the 150,000 mark. Peace of mind for later. Otherwise, no complaints. Hope you find a good one to enjoy!
Great to know. Definitely will keep on top of the maintenance but I'm happy that yours is still going strong at 6 figures.