Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recent loss of power and stalling after filling up

Hey sorry I'm a complete idiot when it comes to troubleshooting the issues on the car but these are the problems I'm having and was looking for help possibly diagnosing what could be my issue. A few days ago I was driving on the highway and went to pass a semi so I downshifted to 5th and laid onto the throttle and noticed the acceleration was not linear and the turbo/BOV was shooting out the air constantly. It was like I wasn't able to hold any boost at all. I tried turning traction control all the way off to see if maybe the car thought I was spinning the tires but I had the same issue. Now it seems I'm not getting any boost at all. Any idea what my issue could be? Also the second issue is the car will have a rough idle and sometimes stall after filling up if I let the gas get below half a tank full. Any idea how to fix this? Car is covered under warranty I just want to be able to provide the dealership with possible solutions before dropping it off. Thanks for any input!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Regarding the second issue, rough idle or stalling after a fill up, this is a common issue that has been discussed many times on the forum if you want to search for the threads. It generally has to do with an issue in the evaporative emissions system, and a common fix is often replacing something called a purge valve.A less common fix may involve replacing the evaporative canister.
Two things that can help when filling up the car are to never top up with more gas after the pump initially cuts off, and then leaving the nozzle in the gas filler for a decent amount of time, at least 30 to 45 seconds.

OP
Thread Starter #4
Regarding the second issue, rough idle or stalling after a fill up, this is a common issue that has been discussed many times on the forum if you want to search for the threads. It generally has to do with an issue in the evaporative emissions system, and a common fix is often replacing something called a purge valve.A less common fix may involve replacing the evaporative canister.
Two things that can help when filling up the car are to never top up with more gas after the pump initially cuts off, and then leaving the nozzle in the gas filler for a decent amount of time, at least 30 to 45 seconds.
So far I've just been filling up every time I hit 3/4ths of a tank of gas and it seems to not die out on me but I'll have to try leaving the nozzle in the gas filler and see if that works for me. Thanks for the response!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
So far I've just been filling up every time I hit 3/4ths of a tank of gas and it seems to not die out on me but I'll have to try leaving the nozzle in the gas filler and see if that works for me. Thanks for the response!
You're welcome, hope it helps.
And remember, when you fill up, regardless of how much gas is in the tank, don't add any more gas after the first time the pump clicks off. That's what I mean by topping up.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
It doesn't really matter how far down you run the tank. My wife typically takes it past where the dash tells you there's 50 miles left in the tank with no problems. It's topping off by putting more gas in after the auto-shutoff pump kicks off. Leaving the nozzle in 30-45 seconds after the auto-shutoff allows venting. The problem has to do with the small hoses and tubes that go to the evaporative canister. When fuel fills to the shutoff point, the gas is frothing and gurgling around in there, and if you top off it can go down the vent return tubes and into the canister, overloading it.

OP
Thread Starter #7
It doesn't really matter how far down you run the tank. My wife typically takes it past where the dash tells you there's 50 miles left in the tank with no problems. It's topping off by putting more gas in after the auto-shutoff pump kicks off. Leaving the nozzle in 30-45 seconds after the auto-shutoff allows venting. The problem has to do with the small hoses and tubes that go to the evaporative canister. When fuel fills to the shutoff point, the gas is frothing and gurgling around in there, and if you top off it can go down the vent return tubes and into the canister, overloading it.
Gotcha then I will have to test this! Thank you!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
That's a helpful explanation of what can happen.