Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear hatch struts

Wondering if any of you have come across this or have had a FiST (or regular Fiesta for that matter) from new.
Recently had one of the hatch struts fail and quickly noticed just how heavy our hatches/spoilers are. Either way, I read something interesting in the reviews of the Amazon struts I purchased. Lady said that when she opens the hatch (i assume refular Fiesta), it now comes up on it's own (no pull required) with the new struts. I doubt this would ever work on an ST (wing is heavy) but hoping one of you knew if this was a thing or not.
Thanks!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
You got me curious so I paid attention to how my hatch works when I was loading up some groceries tonight. My hatch struts are the original ones that came with the car, now almost 8 years old.
When I open it up to about halfway, it goes the rest of the way up on its own. When I close it, if I let it go about a foot from the bottom it will close itself, pretty handy on both sides.

Last edited:
OP
LC14ST
Thread Starter #5
You got me curious so I paid attention to how my hatch works when I was loading up some groceries tonight. My hatch struts are the original ones that came with the car, now almost 8 years old.
When I open it up to about halfway, it goes the rest of the way up on its own. When I close it, if I let it go about a foot from the bottom it will close itself, pretty handy on both sides.
Mine works exactly as yours.

Dialcaliper

Wondering if any of you have come across this or have had a FiST (or regular Fiesta for that matter) from new.
Recently had one of the hatch struts fail and quickly noticed just how heavy our hatches/spoilers are. Either way, I read something interesting in the reviews of the Amazon struts I purchased. Lady said that when she opens the hatch (i assume refular Fiesta), it now comes up on its own (no pull required) with the new struts. I doubt this would ever work on an ST (wing is heavy) but hoping one of you knew if this was a thing or not.
Thanks!
Having replaced hatch struts on other cars, I’d say the fairly generic gas struts you buy are rather overcharged. Another car I had replaced them on would be okay closed, but once the hatch came about a foot out from the seal, it would spring up so fast that I literally got whacked in the face by the door shooting up.

this cars hatch being heavier might not have the same behavior.

WannabeST

Good to know. Curious if the regular Fiestas open on their own with the smaller spoiler...
I own one and they do not open up on their own. I eventually put on an oem ST wing on my car and have not noticed any difference with the wing. There isn't a massive difference in wing weight. I would say it's a 1-2 pound difference. You could even it out with taking the rear wiper off.

I recently replaced my struts with new OEM ones and it made quite the difference. It was not expensive. It's difficult to notice the gradual degradation of the struts. New ones start to open on their own much sooner however.