Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radiator fan

Hello so my radiator fan stopped working. Took it a shop and they hooked it up and shows code P0480-00 Fan 1 Control Circuit. They quoted me $900 for parts and labor ($300 for fan) to replace the fan. Seemed excessive I looked it up OEM FoMoCo fan PN RF408 is $180 on RockAuto so I ordered it and said I will be taking my car back. They then tried to charge me $170 for the diagnostic...eventually talked them down to $120 to get my keys back.

I thought about doing it myself but I'm not mechanically inclined so going to take it to another shop. Were they ripping me off? They said they needed to recharge the AC if the radiator fan comes off, is that true? Would like to go in with a little more knowledge to the next shop, thanks.

Last edited:
The AC does not need recharging to remove the fan shroud, but it would make the whole procedure easier if you were to disconnect the AC condenser.

I managed to get the fan shroud out the top of the car by removing the air box and the top radiator hose, but it was not easy. I’ve also got aftermarket boost hoses so there might be a little more room than in a stock car.

The best way to do it would be to follow Mishimoto’s radiator install video, but stop when they remove the fan shroud. You only need basic tools and a buddy as the crash bar is too heavy to move on your own.

Hello so my radiator fan stopped working. Took it a shop and they hooked it up and shows code P0480-00 Fan 1 Control Circuit. They quoted me $900 for parts and labor ($300 for fan) to replace the fan. Seemed excessive I looked it up OEM FoMoCo fan PN RF408 is $180 on RockAuto so I ordered it and said I will be taking my car back. They then tried to charge me $170 for the diagnostic...eventually talked them down to $120 to get my keys back.

I thought about doing it myself but I'm not mechanically inclined so going to take it to another shop. Were they ripping me off? They said they needed to recharge the AC if the radiator fan comes off, is that true? Would like to go in with a little more knowledge to the next shop, thanks.
radiator fan can come out by itself without pulling anything beyond the upper radiator hose. however, it is tight and needs a lot of finagling. i had to replace mine a few months back because it died in the middle of the night after a failed ice cream run.
i personally removed the air box and snorkel to make it easier. it was quite the headache & was time consuming, but i'm glad i saved money on it. unfortunately, i gouged my mountune radiator a little. it cools just fine and holds coolant, so i'm safe.
also, the motorcraft part was a good call. has the module on it and that is common to fail. i purchased that one.

Job is slightly different, but when I installed the Mountune radiator, I went from underneath. I had a buddy help me lift it up into place which was nice but it was mostly to be very slow and careful so as to not bend any fins. I'm thinking the fan and shroud should be very similar? Shouldn't be too bad.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
"They then tried to charge me $170 for the diagnostic.. "

As someone who works at a dealership, I hate this. Do you expect them to work for free? If you want a free diagnostic go to Autozone or OReillys. Yes it sucks that its that much but thats literally just how it is. You can get a cheaper diagnosis at a mom and pop shop but most of the time you're paying for the experience that techs have at a dealership. That is, assuming you took this to a dealer. If not, $170 is definitely high for a independent shop, but that is depending on your area. Not saying every dealership/shop is great. But not ALL are trying to scam you. Our labor rate here at my dealer in Missouri is $175 an hour and thats actually the cheapest in our town. Regardless, my point stands, every shop is gonna have difference rates. No one ever likes paying for it.

On topic. If the fan was actually exactly $300, they already took $43.63 off MSRP, so it looks like they discounted a little. Rock Auto is able to sell OE stuff cheap af because they buy shit in massive bulk/directly from the manufacturer and have MUCH less markup. Doesn't always mean its good because it could've been something thats been sitting on the shelf for years. I use rock auto, not bagging on them but definitely don't always go for them. Especially if the part you're getting has rubber or seals on it because they're probably dry rotted if its on wholesale clearance for example.

Having to recharge the A/C is definitely bogus. This makes me think you didn't take it to a dealer or the advisor you talked to was a moron. I looked in the workshop manual just to double check and there is nothing about recharging a/c when replacing the cooling fan.

On Alldata, which most shops use for labor hours, it shows 0.8 hours for replacement. So the $900 is definitely ridiculous. With it being 0.8, assuming for diag they do 1 hour so that usually means their labor rate $170 per hour and fan $300 you should be around $450-$500 with tax. They quoted high because they either don't want to do the job or don't know that it takes tbh.

Not trying to flame here, I just know what usually goes on behind the scenes at dealers/shops and it makes it look like they're trying to scam when they're just going by what they know/their policy.

Last edited:
OP
R5Mk2
Thread Starter #6
It was not a dealership just a guy. I even hooked up the scanner for him. He looked at the car for about 1 minute. I definitely respect your work I just felt like this guy was shady. His office was really disorganized and he was also talking shit to his friend in Spanish about me. I don't speak perfect Spanish but I grew up in LA I could understand enough. I make good money and will happily pay for quality work, I just felt like this guy was trying to take advantage of me and from the responses it sounds like I was right.

Thank you all for the advice and I appreciate the insight.

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
It was not a dealership just a guy. I even hooked up the scanner for him. He looked at the car for about 1 minute. I definitely respect your work I just felt like this guy was shady. His office was really disorganized and he was also talking shit to his friend in Spanish about me. I don't speak perfect Spanish but I grew up in LA I could understand enough. I make good money and will happily pay for quality work, I just felt like this guy was trying to take advantage of me and from the responses it sounds like I was right.

Thank you all for the advice and I appreciate the insight.
Yeah I'd definitely seek someone else then