Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Puzzling engine stop

SVTBob

Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So I’m running up to the mountains for the long w/e, 150 miles w/o incident, when I come to a curvy part of the road near my destination begging for some spirited driving (Esc off). I’m in the middle of a nice curve, no where near redline, when suddenly the engine instantly stops dead (lights, gauges, dash, etc., unaffected). I don’t know why but my first reaction was to turn on ESC and when I did, the engine instantly came on again. Not overly enthusiastic about trying to duplicate this so I thought I’d ask if someone had an explanation for this.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Check for codes. If there was a system crash/reboot or if it thought there was a wreck, there should be a code(s) stored.
The ESC off /on button press was likely coincidence.
Any changes from stock?
Can't think of the name/term at the moment but some track racers have had issues where the vehicle goes into crash mode during "high" G maneuvers but the vehicle I think stays in that mode and does flashers and honking.

OP
S

SVTBob

Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I’m away from home, so can’t check for codes but will do next week. Meanwhile, I can try to duplicate it with ESC on and off. We’ll see. The car is DPro’s old car, lots of mods including tuning, S280, etc.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
lights, gauges, dash, etc., unaffected
Somehow missed the "un". I was thinking the dash went dead for a sec. (like a reboot of sorts)

I think I recall reading that electronic stability control cannot be completely switched off but don't see it in the owner manual.

Maybe it was torque vectoring (Advance Trac) trying to "point" the vehicle. Maybe that'd be a bit less subtle with a big brake kit installed?

1725235180388.png
1725235199644.png
1725235221562.png
1725235293788.png

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Los Feliz (In the City of Angels) aka Los Angeles
if you hold it down momentarily it will put the car in Sport mode with some nannies still on if you hold it down for 3 seconds or longer it turns everything off. I am not sure what happened but I never had any issues with it doing a engine kill inadvertently . I know track guys have had that happen but you really have to rail the car hard and if you are still running the extreme sports still it will most likely lose traction before you trigger the crash control . You have to rail it with super stick tires to activate that.
I would look at battery connections as that could cause a sudden shutoff.

fiestar

hey there, that sounds pretty scary! i had something similar happen with my car once. turned out to be a loose battery connection believe it or not. might be worth checking that out when you get back?