Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Project day - coolant upgrade & new intake

It looks like I have my work cut out for me especially in 90+ degree heat.

Koyorad triple bypass radiator
Airtec aluminum expansion tank
All new hoses
Motorcraft 180 degree thermostat
New OEM nozzle
And the real fun part - ITG Maxogen Intake (which renders my newly installed Big Mouth useless šŸ˜‚ but Iā€™ll probably leave it on for the looks)

Iā€™m a bit annoyed that the radiator came with bent fins from the factory. Probably about 15. Would you guys be frustrated about that?
IMG_5281.jpeg

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Iā€™m a bit annoyed that the radiator came with bent fins from the factory. Probably about 15. Would you guys be frustrated about that?
View attachment 62931
I would also be annoyed if my brand new radiator came with bent fins.
I am interested in that radiator though, let us know how it fits, if it fits well or if things have to be modified. Good luck

Dialcaliper

Where did you order the Koyo from? Their packaging doesnā€™t seem to survive shipping all that well, especially when the retailers that sell them unpack and repack poorly before shipping. I purchased a Koyo for the Miata last year, originally from a ā€œgood dealā€ that shipped from Florida (to California). It arrived damaged not once, but twice because the retailer unpacked it to ā€œcheck that it wasnā€™t damagedā€ and I had to get my send it back twice. I eventually got my money back and ended up ordering from an in-state vendor and it arrived pristine.

Last edited:

XanRules

Where did you order the Koyo from? Their packaging doesnā€™t seem to survive shipping all that well, especially when the retailers that sell them unpack and repack poorly before shipping. I purchased a Koyo for the Miata last year, originally from a ā€œgood dealā€ that shipped from Florida (to California). It arrived damaged not once, but twice because the retailer unpacked it to ā€œcheck that it wasnā€™t damagedā€ and I had to get my money back. I eventually got my money back and ended up ordering from an in-state vendor and it arrived pristine.
Yeah, if my sub-$200 eBay intercoolers and radiators can arrive in pristine shape from China, there's no reason a $700 radiator from another state can't show up in similar condition.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #8
Well...it's been a trying time. Car is still up on the ramps since Saturday. The thermostat issue has been resolved and the 180 degree thermostat was installed. Having to the remove the alternator was extremely stressful. But reinstalling wasn't bad. I installed the new expansion tank. If you have a Radium oil catch can, the position of the Airtec tank makes it extremely difficult to get the top hose connected to the oil catch can. Almost to the point I thought I couldn't do it but managed to get it connected. The Koyorad is installed into the front end The oil catch can was reinstalled, the newly gold taped Ramair crossover pipe is reinstalled, the Ramair induction hose was reinstalled, I've been reconnecting wire harnesses, hoses, etc. I'm probably 80% done. Hopefully the forecasted rain doesn't happen so I can finish the project.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Well...it's been a trying time. Car is still up on the ramps since Saturday. The thermostat issue has been resolved and the 180 degree thermostat was installed. Having to the remove the alternator was extremely stressful. But reinstalling wasn't bad. I installed the new expansion tank. If you have a Radium oil catch can, the position of the Airtec tank makes it extremely difficult to get the top hose connected to the oil catch can. Almost to the point I thought I couldn't do it but managed to get it connected. The Koyorad is installed into the front end The oil catch can was reinstalled, the newly gold taped Ramair crossover pipe is reinstalled, the Ramair induction hose was reinstalled, I've been reconnecting wire harnesses, hoses, etc. I'm probably 80% done. Hopefully the forecasted rain doesn't happen so I can finish the project.
Nice going. How did the Koyo radiator fit, did it fit well or did you have to make any modifications? I had one on my other car and it was a nice radiator and fit perfectly.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #10
Nice going. How did the Koyo radiator fit, did it fit well or did you have to make any modifications? I had one on my other car and it was a nice radiator and fit perfectly.
Fit well. Definitely not as straightforward as I had hoped it would be but once I got everything lined up it worked out well. Just disappointed in the amount of bent fins. I took a very thin screwdriver and tried to straighten them out. They're not pretty but at least air can pass through now.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #11
It's all done, guys! Very nerve wracking making sure all hoses and cables go back in their designated spots and then reattaching the front end and bumper fascia. Please excuse the dirtiness. But it's a changed engine bay. New coolant expansion tank, new Koyorad radiator, gold tape wrapped crossover pipe, ITG Maxogen intake, new coolant hoses, etc.

Even with AC blasting and sitting idle, the car doesn't go over 196 degrees. THAT is a success.

Btw, if any of you are looking for a new intake, go with the ITG Maxogen. There is not a single other intake that sounds as good as this one. Guaranteed. I've heard plenty of different cone intakes and of course the OEM intake, nothing sounds like the ITG.

Oh and if any of you know how to open the hood without the interior hood latch working, I'd love some advice. I thought I had reattached the hood latch cable properly but apparently not since I can't open my hood now. Can't even get it raised a half inch.
Image (1).jpg Image (2).jpg