Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Filter Leak

I just changed my oil for the first time. I put in synthetic and used a mobil-1 oil filter. Getting off the factory installed one was a pain. I had to puncture it with a screw driver to break it loose. I thought nothing of it because the factory tends to put it on very tight.

Fast forward a week and a half and now I'm leaking oil (I would leave a 6" round puddle after about 2 hours). I took a look at it and it looks like the end of the oil filter isnt touching the oil filter mount when I tightened it to 3/4 turn past touching. I'm tightening it as much as possible by hand it it still isnt even touching, with a flashlight I can still see light between the filter and where it should be touching.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, any recommendations?

Agree, try a different filter, you may be using the wrong filter. I used Mobil filter too, no problem here. Good luck!

Cheers!

me32

1000 Post Club
Take off the filter and make sure there is only one rubber O ring. Try posting a pic so we can see what you see.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I agree, check for double o-rings. Also, did you put any oil on your new oil filter o ring before you installed your new oil filter? I always fill the filter, then smear oil on the o-ring before I install it. I use an oil filter wrench to tighten it up, not too much, however. You don't want to get it too tight.

This is what I used to get the originsl oil filter off, then after that, a regular oil filter wrench

[/URL][/IMG]

[IMG}
[/IMG]