Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Obscure must-have mods

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've decided on a proper first gear ratio. About 2.81:1. You won't see it (the mod) but when I accelerate in first you'll see it. Elite in Stoke-On-Trent is going to build me a gearset.

I've seen no one do this mod nor is it available anywhere. The Sierra Cosworth has a 2.95 first gear and 3.64 rear diff. It weighs the same as a Fiesta and is about 2 inches longer. 200bhp and it accelerates fantastic in first. Fiesta IB6 final drive is 3.82. 2.81:1 works out the same as a Cossie 2.95.
Interested to see how that works out. Should be snappy.
The ST200 that was sold in Europe had a lower final drive, but I doubt it was as low as your first gear will be.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Forget what who did but someone else had altered gear ratios and wasn't really happy with the results. Once you start boosting torque I can see the desire for changes as the RPM range may seem so short.

I just put a cosworth T5 in my XR4Ti with a 2.95 first gear. Car weighs the same as my Fiesta. It transforms the first gear acceleration. It had a 3.36. The Fiesta first gear ratio is horrible for a turbo car. You want to be accelerating under boost. Not changing gears.

I expect shave half a second off my 0-60mph time, if not more. When you grab second your rpms will be much higher and you won’t be waiting for boost to come on. Plus you’ve already maximized your boost through first and are a few car lengths ahead of the old gearbox.

I’m not going to argue about this. You can if you want. I have real world experience with gear ratio selection on small turbo fords and I’m willing to pay the money to get this made for me.

In a world of “what decals look best on my back window”, I’m not a typical fiesta owner.

I've decided on a proper first gear ratio. About 2.81:1. You won't see it (the mod) but when I accelerate in first you'll see it. Elite in Stoke-On-Trent is going to build me a gearset.

I've seen no one do this mod nor is it available anywhere. The Sierra Cosworth has a 2.95 first gear and 3.64 rear diff. It weighs the same as a Fiesta and is about 2 inches longer. 200bhp and it accelerates fantastic in first. Fiesta IB6 final drive is 3.82. 2.81:1 works out the same as a Cossie 2.95.
Did the RS500s use the same gearbox ratios and final drive?
(They were up close to 300 BPH, correct?)

I’ll contribute to the “obscure must have mods”

Quinton Hazell metal dipstick from the UK. A little hard to get ahold of, but for $14 plus shipping (total $35), it’s been a significant life improvement, being able to quickly and visibly read the oil level (generic flat metal dispstick) compared to the annoying plastic torpedo

Attachments