Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

new brake rotor rusty out of the box

I've never bought rotors to put on myself. Is this a thing where they can be rusty right out of the box? Should I clean it up and use knowing it will just get rusty anyway? Or rma for replacement?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

What rotors did u get? In my experience, they usually leave the factory with a coating that prevents the oxidation and you would clean that off before install.

DEss

OP
Thread Starter #3
These are oem rears from tasca. Just not sure it's worth the hassle to return if it can be cleaned up and used. Took quite a while for them to come in

Just use it, wont affect anything its just surface rust- if you're really concerned, just clean it up with some steel wool.

OP
Thread Starter #5
Was leaning toward that, and that's what I'll do. Thanks

You must've bought uncoated rotors. If you live somewhere that has snowy or rainy winters, I'd spend the extra money to get some coated rotors. They'll look better too because every time it rains your rotors will be all rusty.

OP
Thread Starter #7
You must've bought uncoated rotors. If you live somewhere that has snowy or rainy winters, I'd spend the extra money to get some coated rotors. They'll look better too because every time it rains your rotors will be all rusty.
For future reference where can I buy oem coated rotors?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I've never purchased OEM rotors before but all of the performance rotors I have purchased (RacingBrake, Stoptech) have been lightly coated with oil and packed in a clear plastic bag; part of the installation process is to spray them down with brake cleaner to remove the oil.

That said, it's very easy to get surface rust on an uncoated rotor (happens every car wash for me), so you should be able to clean it up pretty easily. Spraying it with a penetrant like WD40 will probably make a quick job out of it, but make sure you hit it with brake cleaner before installing it (y)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm saying a one up over the Steel wool...but utilizing a 3M Maroon scotch brite pad to remove the surface rust.[ridinghorse]