Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New aftermarket key fob comes with multiple and annoying warnings

jodyr

Premium Account
My new fobs (lost the old ones) trigger a warning about an "immobilizer malfunction." It's quite aggressive and annoying, and I'm hoping somebody can help me turn it off.

Thanks.

XanRules

I realize this is a very obvious solution, but where did you buy them, and did you get them re-programmed at a dealership? My folks actually recently had this issue with their Subaru - they lost their keys, got aftermarket fobs, and even after being programmed they wouldn't open the car. I think the dealership ended up either replacing the fobs or reprogramming them.

OP
jodyr

jodyr

Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
I realize this is a very obvious solution, but where did you buy them, and did you get them re-programmed at a dealership? My folks actually recently had this issue with their Subaru - they lost their keys, got aftermarket fobs, and even after being programmed they wouldn't open the car. I think the dealership ended up either replacing the fobs or reprogramming them.
I lost my one fob in the forest (I'd lost the other years ago), so I was stuck 3 hours from my home. The locksmith gave me the choice getting OEM or aftermarket fobs. The difference in price was astronomical. I chose the latter, and he came up with them and programmed them at my car, and now I have two fobs that work great and are functional in every way, other than the fact these "immobilization malfunction" alarms play out repeatedly for the first 5 minutes I'm driving the car. They do stop after a bit, and so I think I could survive having to listen to this long term, but I'd rather find a way to clear the warning without having to pay the utterly ludicrous markup that Ford puts on the price of their fobs.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The OEM 164-R8048 online is only $76 or less shipped and generic is $37.50 at wallyworld online. Not what I would call astronomical, me thinks you locksmith tried to jack you....... I found lots of programming info online also you could try with your generic.

XanRules

I lost my one fob in the forest (I'd lost the other years ago), so I was stuck 3 hours from my home. The locksmith gave me the choice getting OEM or aftermarket fobs. The difference in price was astronomical. I chose the latter, and he came up with them and programmed them at my car, and now I have two fobs that work great and are functional in every way, other than the fact these "immobilization malfunction" alarms play out repeatedly for the first 5 minutes I'm driving the car. They do stop after a bit, and so I think I could survive having to listen to this long term, but I'd rather find a way to clear the warning without having to pay the utterly ludicrous markup that Ford puts on the price of their fobs.
If I were a betting man, based on recent experience, I'd say it has something to do with the way the immobilizer was programmed by the locksmith. See if the dealer will reprogram them for you.