Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Negative Ignition Correction When Hitting a Bump

Hi All,

I recently picked up a 2016 Fiesta ST from a member here, having a blast with it so far. I've noticed that when I do a pull, while monitoring the negative ignition correction, I get a (small) negative correction when I hit a bump in the road. On a smooth road when I do a pull, I generally get no negative correction. From what I have read, negative corrections are not necessarily bad. However, since it generally only happens if I hit a bump, should I check my spark plugs to ensure they are tightened correctly (or something else), or is this normal? Thank you.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Braking over bumps seems to trigger ABS due the microsecond interruption in traction. Wondering whether the brief interruption in traction while accelerating over bumps may be triggering a nanny or engine protection routine? For that microsecond loss of traction, there's going to be a change with engine load/piston speed; and perhaps it's that aspect that triggers the timing retard routine. Taller, softer sidewalls and suspension can potentially keep the tires on the ground better under such situations but of course there would be large sacrifices for handling, control and stability/roll-over protection.