Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Moving out of comifornia!

I’m a native Californian who has moved around a bit in the past 15 yrs; my So Cal office closed and I was transferred to Denver then subsequently to the Dallas area. I went from beaches and mountains to mountains only, then to neither. Every metropolis has its plusses and minuses – I’ve been in the Big D for close to a decade – bought a home (two-story/2500 sq ft) in a nice northern suburb for under $200k when I moved here. In the past few years, real estate has taken off and now the home is worth about double of its purchase price. No state income tax in TX, but the state & local govt. always find a way to get their money and here it’s via high real estate taxes. I miss CA, but couldn’t afford my old home in Irvine (Orange County). Moving to the south was a bit of a culture shock, but I try to make the best of it…I refuse to say “Y’all” and “Fixin”, however, lol. Winters are mild here for the most part, but summers are hellishly hot and humid (but never have to change to winter tires on my FiST). I liked living in Denver and may return there at some point, but the cost of living is higher….always tradeoffs wherever one goes.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I feel bad for some people. My wife and I bought our home in 2015 three bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms 1800 square feet, two car garage and a brand new 12x24 shed on 1 acre of land with about $1,500 in property tax for $169,000. I should say the home was only 10 years old and in really good shape and did not need anything at all. Now today I could sell it for $230,000 easy if not more. Piedmont region of North Carolina.

I honestly don't understand how people afford it the mortgage payment must be an absolute killer. I know a lot of people who have moved out here from California they are very happy. North Carolina is much more expensive though than Kansas. A six bedroom house not going to happen we just don't build houses like that around here unless they're like 6,000 square feet. Especially if it is out in the county where you have to have a septic system very regulated based on how many bedrooms.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fiestig

Being a ND farm boy, I love, love, love the midwest..... However, I am not sure I could ever leave Monterey Bay area. The fact that my kids get to go to some of the greatest public schools in the country where I am in Cali, I am happy to stay overall broke as hell for a while to give them that. I personally never had college debt so its a wash anyway at this point. Plus my 2017 doesn't need its first smog for another 3 years so I am happy modding without issue.

Just to note: I lived in Shawnee Mission, KS by KC.... Not a fan...lol. Traffic job screams St. Louis to me... Never once have I not seen insane traffic and construction through St. Louis. I assume they are happy to get help...lol

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I bought my house for 165k 11 years ago. It's only 1475sq ft. Roughly 7500sq ft lot. Selling to a buddy of mine for 460k. That's the going rate around here! Not counting the 30k over ppl are selling for with the bidding wars. My aunt is a realtor and has been for 30 years. She says the market around my house stupid. She moved her out of her office in Temecula because the rent is too high and tried to get an office space in menifee but was still too expensive. Ended getting space in Murrieta. Everyone from LA and OC coming out here buying with cash. I don't mind flat roads. I spend most of my time with my family or work. Not much left. I feel like my family needs some space. It's something I'll never afford out here. I need to sell before the 'shift' that's coming. The market won't be as low as when I bought but it's going to drop some and my profit margin will too. Idk. I'm nervous as shit really. Been here my whole life but I need to think of my 7 and yes I said 7 kids. Judge if you must. I can get double the house with a shop/enormous garage for a lil more than 200k. One we are looking at has a heated 6 car garage with a room and bathroom in it next to the 3k sq ft house on 5 acres. An acre is a lil more than 43k sq ft. I'm very much a leave me alone and let me live type of person and thats not what California likes right now. California used to be in the 80's very free. You older guys probably know what I'm talking about. I'm not that old but I can tell when the California government tells me I can't do that or own this. You can fill in the blanks with there. If all else fails when the cali market drops I can sell out there and come back and have the ability to get a lil bit more than I have here. Sry for rambling on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
That's more of a study the affects of traffic job. Thx for looking out though!

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Tried to quote steeveS. Didn't work.

OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Any thoughts on Georgia? Found some I like out there about an hr from Atlanta which is good for work.

ronmcdon

I would say to look into the projected effects of climate change in the south overall and decide if its worth it for you. The southern states appear to be hit hardest if projections are correct. Hate to be cynical but sometimes wonder if those projections might be optimistic at best.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Any thoughts on Georgia? Found some I like out there about an hr from Atlanta which is good for work.

Personally I would choose the southeast over the Midwest anytime of day I like to Garden. The warmer it is the more availability of plants you can grow. What would make you more miserable cold and snow, or heat and humidity? In Georgia you could always take a ride to the mountains, or you could also go to the beach. Just know the southeast is growing and growing like hell. Work availability will probably be better road construction can basically be done 365 days a year.

Don't know much about Georgia, but I'm sure quite a few people on this site do.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I wouldn't mind moving to one of the better parts of Florida, but unfortunately, no Kaiser Permanente there. Houses in my hood are going for $200,000 - $400,000 OVER the asking price! I only have 1,000 sq ft but is close to $1.2 million!
Ha yeah we sold our place by the beach and I feel like I could go build a castle in another state ;)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Let's keep it on topic. No need to go down that road.

I have lived in the central part of North Carolina my whole life feel free to ask any questions.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
If you were moving to eastern Washington state I could point you to lots of traffic control outfits. Unfortunately they are all somewhat local/regional. I've had my TC card for near on 15 years and my TC Supervisor card for about 10 at this point.

Edit: Pretty certain no states do reciprocity with California so you are going to have to get recertified.

Last edited:
OP
KnockOff

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
If you were moving to eastern Washington state I could point you to lots of traffic control outfits. Unfortunately they are all somewhat local/regional. I've had my TC card for near on 15 years and my TC Supervisor card for about 10 at this point.

Edit: Pretty certain no states do reciprocity with California so you are going to have to get recertified.
The attsa certification is good for everywhere. Goes off of the MUTCD. I have since been certified again with cal zone instructors. A quick Google search will reveal every states specific regulations. Once you have done this a while its easy to remember as I'm sure you know. My buddy moved to Washington and had a job doing the same thing within an hr lol. I heard Washington is turning into California? Lmk if I'm wrong.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Washington, like California, is a big state. Lots of "Red" and "Blue" areas to be comfortable in. Statewide, we run purpleish blue but it seems to be OK as far as automotive pursuits.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Let's keep it on topic. No need to go down that road.

I have lived in the central part of North Carolina my whole life feel free to ask any questions.

I love the Carolinas but give a slight nod to SC purely because the political climate there is more “government just stay out of my business” than NC. I lived in the Raleigh area for 10 years (go pack), 2 years in Asheville, and just south of the Charlotte border in SC for 9 years. I’d go back to any of them in a heartbeat.

Have also lived in Macon, GA (shithole); Clearwater, FL(nice but too many old people); Dallas, TX (excellent); Tulsa, OK (excellent but landlocked).

Live in pleasantville Carmel, IN now and agree with previous sentiments in here. Everywhere has plus and minus but I feel the Carolinas are by far the best compromise of anywhere I have lived, with SC being slightly better politically. Beach and mountains both are within a half days drive from most anywhere in either state. Taxes are reasonable. Property values are decent with the exception of Asheville or oceanfront. Politics are never much of a factor in life in either state which I think we can all agree is good, regardless of which side of the aisle you’re on.

Magnetic

As the title states I'm getting out of comiforia. Looks like I'm heading to east Kansas/ west Missouri. I'll be looking for traffic control work in that area. If you guys have any leads I would be extremely grateful! I have done it out here where the standards are usually higher for coming up on 14yrs I'm selling my house and with the stupid prices out here with everyone moving from LA and OC to where I'm at. I can make enough to buy a larger house with a lil bit of land with cash. Atm I'm planning on staying out here for probably half the year making enough to take care of the family for the rest of the year while home. This is only temporary so there is no gap in income and it will kill me to do it forever.

Thx for any opinions yall have.

P.S. I'm not bringing any comiforia views with me and as soon as I have time the smog laws out there will alow me to s280 the fist!

Come out to Arizona! I'm originally from San Diego and moved here in 2017. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!!! You will enjoy life so much more out here!