Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MK7 ST Suspension/driveshaft noises

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to Ford! Picked up my ST a few weeks ago, it’s a 2015 ST-2 (Black) totally stock currently with 101,000 miles on it.

I love the car, I’m wasn’t a car guy but it’s quickly turning me into one. But there’s some noises that are stressing me out. It went into Ford for a service last week and they came back saying it the rear strut top mounts were perished, offside front suspension ball joint was worn and the offside front driveshaft was defective.

I have since had the strut top mounts replaced and the lower front offside ball joint replaced, I checked with them that the driveshaft was safe and they said for the time being it was but there was some play and to keep an eye on it. (I’m skint after buying the car, the work carried out so far and also being in the middle of buying a house so I’m trying to spread the work out a bit). The car is still making strange noises and I wanted to get opinions if all could be related to the driveshaft or if more could potentially be wrong.

The first noise is a high pitched clinking sound, it seems to be coming from the offside front of the car and happens in reaction to the road surface, though not all the time. It’s quite quiet.

The second is when reverse steering there is a creaking sound that I can sort of feel (if that makes sense) through the steering wheel, again it’s not there always - maybe 70-80% of the time.

Third is a clunk when switching in the lower gears, again intermittent. I noticed today that when this is playing up it also sometimes happens when pressing the accelerator too, not touching the gears.

Any theories are welcome! Ideally I hope sorting the driveshaft will rectify these issues but we’ll see. I’m trying to educate myself as much as I can as I want to sort out and keep this car for a long time.

For background I bought it privately but from a lad I know pretty well and I’m sure he’s not the type to rag it around. He wasn’t aware of any issues other than needing new front tyres. It’s aways passed MOT’s (last one in April) with flying colours. It hadn’t been serviced for a couple of years and had covered a fair amount of miles in that time, until then it was regularly serviced at the main dealer. I have also recently changed rear pads and discs and front tyres.

Thanks!