Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Little setup for towing 1-2 groms to fun riding spots

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
As near as I can tell, the FiST doesn't have the ability to use a hitch carrier that can hold a small bike, the tongue weight is too high. If anyone has any info to the contrary I'd love to hear it.

I put together a little shopping list and would love feedback on it. (I just realized, in the screenshot below I selected a 2" ball but the trailer requires a 1 7/8" ball)

hitchstuff.png

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...6-14-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62666.html

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The trailer weighs 250 lbs. You're going to have to add either wheel rails and a ramp or a deck and a ramp, so figure maybe 350lbs. The groms are 225lbs each so you're up to 800lbs dry weight. Add some gas and oil and gear and you'll be toting around 1000 lbs, which should all be good.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The trailer weighs 250 lbs. You're going to have to add either wheel rails and a ramp or a deck and a ramp, so figure maybe 350lbs. The groms are 225lbs each so you're up to 800lbs dry weight. Add some gas and oil and gear and you'll be toting around 1000 lbs, which should all be good.
Thats what I thought. I have lifted the bikes into the back of a van before but the ramp sure makes it easier, worth the weight for sure.

As near as I can tell, the FiST doesn't have the ability to use a hitch carrier that can hold a small bike, the tongue weight is too high. If anyone has any info to the contrary I'd love to hear it.

I put together a little shopping list and would love feedback on it. (I just realized, in the screenshot below I selected a 2" ball but the trailer requires a 1 7/8" ball)

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...6-14-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62666.html
I pull a Sunfish sailboat (~150lb with all the gear) on a small galvanized trailer (300-400lb) with mine a couple times a year, works great! since the trailer has little 12in donut tires I try to keep the speeds around 55-60 just to save the tires/wheel bearings on the trailer. With the boat being so light and the trailer being on leaf springs without dampers... things get a little bouncy over expansion joints some times. other than that its mint!

Just gotta remind myself every time I pull the trailer that I need to keep proper stopping distance as the whole setup weighs a bit more and takes longer to slow down.

I used the E-trailer plug&play wire harness, that was super easy to install, no wire splicing needed, just pop the plugs out of the rear lights and plug it in in-line and find a good ground back there (I sanded some paint off where the lower rear hatch sill cover screws into and slid the ring terminal on there) and somewhere to mount the box (I have mine taped behind the driver side felt interior cover where the little storage pocket is). Not sure if the one you have is plug and play... but I would highly recommend it, way less work than splicing turn signal/brake wiring.

I think I have a curt hitch, its fine, the paint/powdercoat has come off after 8 years so things are starting to get a little rusty here in MN.

If you have the stock rubber exhaust hangers on a stock exhaust, your muffler may wobble around and make noise when it hits the hitch mounting brackets (the large flat plate on that side). if you have a smaller muffler/stiffer poly exhaust hangers it probably wont be an issue.

Last edited: