Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Leaving a Fiesta ST dormant @ pied a terre

Hi all!
My wife and I are going to be back and forth between USA and Sweden. This might mean that my Fiesta ST will be sitting unused for some periods of time, perhaps up to 2-3 months. There isn't really anyone in the general vicinity of my apartment that I'd trust to take it for a spin that comes to mind. I suppose I could throw some dollars at the mechanic down the street to do it every couple of weeks.

Does anyone leave their ST dormant for long periods without issues? I've heard one car collector say he lets his cars sit all winter. Another enthusiast swears that the seals would dry out and I'd get all kinds of leaks. it's a 2019 with 60kmi, but most of those miles are from 2021. Now I'm putting on less than 4000 a year.

At a minimum, a battery tender and some fuel stabilizer - even in an unsophisticated modern car like ours the battery will drain in a week or two, and gas starts degrading and reducing octane rating after 2 weeks or so. Gas that’s been sitting a long time can also precipitate resins and separate water in the tank.

Also, using a long life synthetic oil will handle oxidation from sitting and seals drying out better. Your tires will probably flatspot from sitting a long time, but that will eventually roll back out (or you can invest in some wheel cribs if you have nice tires you care about.

Other than that, there’s not much else you can do to pickle the car beyond storing it indoors. Others may have some Fiesta specific tips.

Since 2019 I have parked mine from November to May every year. I park it outside (sometimes literally in a snowbank depending on how much snow we get) I stabilize the gas, I put a couple moisture absorbers inside the cabin, then I drive it onto a tarp that I lay on the driveway. I have a fitted a car cover I put on, then a new tarp over that, then I shrinkwrap it. I have never removed the battery in five years of storing. Come spring (normally around May 1st....she starts right up. May not work for everyone, but knock on wood, my car is still pretty pristine (no surface rust or even any scaling rust underneath)
I know I should remove the battery and I think I will this year only because it is original to the car and may start giving me problems if I leave it in.

Since 2019 I have parked mine from November to May every year. I park it outside (sometimes literally in a snowbank depending on how much snow we get) I stabilize the gas, I put a couple moisture absorbers inside the cabin, then I drive it onto a tarp that I lay on the driveway. I have a fitted a car cover I put on, then a new tarp over that, then I shrinkwrap it. I have never removed the battery in five years of storing. Come spring (normally around May 1st....she starts right up. May not work for everyone, but knock on wood, my car is still pretty pristine (no surface rust or even any scaling rust underneath)
I know I should remove the battery and I think I will this year only because it is original to the car and may start giving me problems if I leave it in.
That's amazing to me that it starts after that length of time. I would have guessed that 2-3 weeks of cold storage is as long as the battery would be able to start the car.
Just to confirm- it's not on a battery tender? Thanks.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
2-3 months at a time is not all that long. Old Miatas like my 1994 often sit unused from October to May. Since your car is garaged that solves most of the problems people have to deal with. Full gas tank is a good idea. Fuel stabilizer is probably not necessary for only 2-3 months. Definitely make sure the tires are aired up. And a battery tender is necessary for a car like the Fiesta ST which has computers running all the time. I have been very pleased with the Noco Genius 1 for my boat (which lives outdoors on a lift) and my Miata which lives in the garage. Only $30.

Check for vermin in the garage. Mice and other rodents love to ruin cars. Our garage is attached and partially air conditioned so I don't have to deal with vermin or excess humidity. But if you have a detached garage you may have to employ mitigations.