Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Issues with rear spring rubbing on height adjuster in gaz shocks coilover

Mumar

Hi, I've recently installed gaz shocks coilover suspension kit to my fiesta and I'm having issues with rear springs (it's a separate dumper and spring setup). In a factory setup there's a bottom spring isolator, that can pivot relatively to the beam when suspension is decompressed. But with this one, lower mount is substituted with height adjuster fixed to the beam. And with hard spring (650lbs) that I have it doesn't seem to flex enough to bend to beam position. This results in spring rubbing on the height adjuster when suspension is moving, which for one is really audible and also the rubbing already filed down the adjuster nut, so I think if I continue running like that either the spring or the adjuster is going to break. I tried also installing helper springs to change the orientation of things a bit, but now even though clunking is gone, the plastic washer that's between helper and main spring is wearing out by rubbing on the adjuster. I run out of the ideas what to do with this thing. Has anyone had similar issues? Or do you know where I can source only a spring with height adjuster from some other setup to substitute the one I have?

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have my money on those are the wrong rear springs.This kit may be for the Fiesta* NOT the ST. Those springs are way to thick and heavy duty. If you look at Whoosh's website and any of Ron's coilover setups. They are completely different.

OP
M

Mumar

Thread Starter #3
Yeah, that's my guess that those springs should be longer, with a bit kinked to the site shape as the factory ones and probably softer, to bend to the shape of the beam. Will see if they are willing to replace them for me.

Dialcaliper

Unfortunately the springs can’t be longer and still have that spring rate without raising your ride height, unless you’re okay with that or you drop the adjuster a lot. What front spring rate do you have and is this a dedicated track car or do you drive it on the street? That spring rate sounds shockingly stiff for a Fiesta of any flavor short of a hardcore track car with massive aero or a wheel-to-wheel (like b-spec) car.

ISC sells adjusters that fit the Fiesta separately. (Just need to enter make/model and/or contact them directly) Someone else can probably confirm whether they are top or bottom mount (top mount adjuster will be less susceptible to this problem especially combined with a tender below the main spring)

https://iscsuspension-na.com/store/Adjustable-spring-perch-p92750360

Another alternative is a taller and slightly stiffer helper/tender spring with a taller stack height. Scroll down below the “assist springs” to the “helper springs” section in the link below for the Swift part numbers. Anything under 100-150 lb/in will do the job. Look at the FCH (full compressed height). And pick one that’s over 1”. Eibach also sells them as “tender springs” (look at block height”)

https://www.swiftsprings.com/assist-helper-springs/

https://eibach.com/race-spring-search?diameter=&length=&rate=&type=Tender+Spring+(Linear)

Sam4

I was about to suggest factory springs - they're cheap, until you figure it out. Those earthquake isolaters are the biggest things on the car!