Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I’m torn on adding fuel

I over analyze things. Let’s just get that out of the way. Lol. I have night my s280 but it isn’t installed yet. Running e30 right now and love the low end grunt from the baby turbo.

Adding fuel with an s280 by buying a single port aux. Pros; mo powah baby. Cleaner intake valves. Quicker lap times. No chance of going lean.

Cons. Lower engine life. I’ll need a clutch soon. LSD is recommended. $$$$. A little bit more complicated tuning. Tires will get eaten.

Is aux fuel the way to go? Harder to tune? Am I missing out on a whole level of torque by staying stock fuel? Is it worth the extra wear and tear for that bump? Oddly my tuner says stick with stock fuel and I’ll be plenty surprised at how nuts just an s280 will be.

I’d like to get away from e30 since it is only local to me. Any travelling and I’m back to 91/93/94.

I over analyze things. Let’s just get that out of the way. Lol. I have night my s280 but it isn’t installed yet. Running e30 right now and love the low end grunt from the baby turbo.

Adding fuel with an s280 by buying a single port aux. Pros; mo powah baby. Cleaner intake valves. Quicker lap times. No chance of going lean.

Cons. Lower engine life. I’ll need a clutch soon. LSD is recommended. $$$$. A little bit more complicated tuning. Tires will get eaten.

Is aux fuel the way to go? Harder to tune? Am I missing out on a whole level of torque by staying stock fuel? Is it worth the extra wear and tear for that bump? Oddly my tuner says stick with stock fuel and I’ll be plenty surprised at how nuts just an s280 will be.

I’d like to get away from e30 since it is only local to me. Any travelling and I’m back to 91/93/94.
I always recommend only doing one thing at a time, so you can assess the impact of that separately. If you make two big changes at the same time, it's hard to tell what the effect of each one by itself is. Add the new turbo and see how you like it, and don't even worry right now whether you need to add aux fuel or not.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
I always recommend only doing one thing at a time, so you can assess the impact of that separately. If you make two big changes at the same time, it's hard to tell what the effect of each one by itself is. Add the new turbo and see how you like it, and don't even worry right now whether you need to add aux fuel or not.
A very valid point that we follow at work consistently. By holding off on fuel I really only waste a bit of tuning time and can sit at status quo. No loss, but potential gain.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
It will have insane TQ when you go E30 with a S280 . I actually was happy on pump 91. I tried a E30 base and the TQ was nuts.
The e30 tune I have now feels great. I can’t imagine what a well tuned s280 on e30 feels like. I might be meh, I might be holy shit.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
If you want to do fuel, go with injectors/HPFP.

I did my turbo upgrade first without fueling mods. Now I'm contemplating injectors only. I agree with what was said previously about doing it incrementally.

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
If you want to do fuel, go with injectors/HPFP.

I did my turbo upgrade first without fueling mods. Now I'm contemplating injectors only. I agree with what was said previously about doing it incrementally.
I cannot justify the cost. That setup costs more than the turbo. HPFP will be an option if someone can come up with one that doesn’t cost that much. Single port aux delivers the fuel just fine.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Just make sure you wire up an LED light or something in the cabin to confirm the aux fuel controller is on. Only real risk is it loses power and you lean out. Several folks have pics on here of how they did theirs.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I cannot justify the cost. That setup costs more than the turbo. HPFP will be an option if someone can come up with one that doesn’t cost that much. Single port aux delivers the fuel just fine.
So Ya I did the same thing I did not do any fuel upgrades. I did a base E30 per my tuner saying I could do that but not go further without at least injectors which he has dynoed at giving the car a 30-40 whp increase. With that said I vdynoed 340ft lbs of TQ with the base E30 tune and a hair under 300whp.

The car was pretty wild with those numbers and TQ steer was real. I decided that my 91 tune was good at 284/284 whp and TQ. It really was the sweet spot for the car. I feel once you start going beyond that it takes away from what the car was really designed for.

I would do injectors before ever doing single port aux . The whole aux fuel is a left over piggyback system from the 90’s it’s not even really tied into the ecu beyond just giving a signal to shoot fuel. Guys have blown up manifolds with it. The Injector route is literally the way the car was designed for .
It’s really a unoptimized fuel delivery( aux) setup vs optimized. ( injectors) .
Plus you can always go injectors see if you like an injector tune or want even more and add the HpFP later and tune for that. You may find you have plenty and don ‘t feel the need to go farther.

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
I feel once you start going beyond that it takes away from what the car was really designed for.
I have another car in the garage that has been modified WAY too much and I’m trying to undo those mods now. You bring up a valid point. At what point would it stop being a fun ST and turn into a difficult to drive money pit.

I have +30 injectors with the S280 running E30. It's a blast. Doing my 93 tuning now and it feels tame in comparison. It feels very quick in a car this small and nimble. E30 I'm touching 28psi, on 93 25. The extra timing you can run on E is the major difference. Contemplating the HPFP, but It's very fun as is. Totally different beast form a stock turbo, but in a good way.

OP
C
Thread Starter #12
And yet here we are and many are running e30. You may be missing the intent of this post or sealioning to further some other narrative. I don’t know.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The eFuels are a catch 22. either you liek them and you gain 17% more horse power and then the trade off.. poor fuel economy.. But I will say that our van is suffering with a purge valve issue, which could affect this fuel economy too. Once we get that taken care of, I'm hoping to see better economy. So you say you've been tuned.. In order cause Ford tell us that even though our van does not have the yellow cap or filler opening, we can run the eFuels, but there's t rick to doing so. We need at least $4.00 or reg and $35.00 of the e85 in order for this to work. Plus looking at the efuel chart, your Fiesta st is not listed as being efuel ready.
You have the ratios backwards. It would be 3-4 gallons of e85 with 7-8 gallons of premium! not regular for the FiST. Plus you would have to have it tuned for it. Is your Van a Ecoboost Transit? Or is it a NA. Plus no one is doing E30 for fuel economy😂. Its all for power and nothing else because while Ethanol has lower BTU’s it has much higher Octane. Lower BTU’s will always result in lower gas mileage performance it’s the trade off some are willing to make for more power. Sure its a catch 22 if you are hung up on fuel mileage but its one some choose to live with.😂

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
He also posted an odd response in a wheel spacer/offset thread where he’s talking about his transit connect.

I think he’s just looking for his people.

I have the s280 with both injectors and hpfp on mine, running 28 psi max at 350 whp and 300 wheel torque on e50. 20,000 miles on the set up without any issue. Tuner said it is safe to go up to 31 PSI with E50 with the set up but I opted for the conservative tune. Drivability is the same as stock turbo E30 tuned for me. I average 300-400 miles/week as my job required a lot of driving.