I know we have given the Jag injectors the green light but what about a cheaper HPFP?

llerrob

Member ID
I have been doing a bit of reading on alternatives for our injectors and HPFP. From what I have read the Jag fuel injectors perform basically the same as the Bosch injectors, however the Jag pump cannot handle the flow needed. I have not been able to really find much on any uprated fuel pump other than the XDI. I found a few on ebay that claim to be sufficient such as this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2335069368...lEV9770tjDeAF2WuB6O5ROKqPAHx|tkp:BFBM1LXp0tdg.

Does anyone have any experience with a pump like this or is it a lost cause?

Erick_V

Member ID
I commented on the injector thread about the possibility of swapping the internals like this versus the entire pump ($400 vs the $1400 XDI unit). It was the first mod needed to make power in the MS3/6 community and took an hour or so to do. Bumped the fuel pressure up and gave you the fueling you needed. If you maxed that pump out you were making enough power to bend rods, around ~400whp IIRC. Which would suffice for us. If someome made these internals it would be easy money for them because they would be the only person to have them. The first and biggest challenge is finding someone to do it and if something like that would work for us. Not even sure if the HPFP can be dissasembled like the MS3/6 one.

Member ID
Well the Jag HPFP is not a good alternative to the xdi HPFP. It will flow great(2900 psi) up to 4k/5k rpm. Above 5k it will drop pressure around/below 2000 psi. I've looked at my OEM HPFP and it's completely sealed so the option of changing the internals is not an option. What other ideas can the community come up with? I'll gladly be a test bench for any HPFP ideas.

Member ID
Well the Jag HPFP is not a good alternative to the xdi HPFP. It will flow great(2900 psi) up to 4k/5k rpm. Above 5k it will drop pressure around/below 2000 psi. I've looked at my OEM HPFP and it's completely sealed so the option of changing the internals is not an option. What other ideas can the community come up with? I'll gladly be a test bench for any HPFP ideas.
Did you try the Jag HPFP with the upgraded cam lobe for the HPFP

Member ID
I don’t see how you could do that without replacing the exhaust camshaft. Then you needs to re-shim all the buckets. And that point you may as well have just installed a XDI hpfp. lol.

Member ID
I don’t see how you could do that without replacing the exhaust camshaft. Then you needs to re-shim all the buckets. And that point you may as well have just installed a XDI hpfp. lol.
From a cursory search it appears that some vehicles (not necessarily Fiesta ST), people have been regrinding stock cams to reduce the base circle on the HPFP cam lobe (without touching the rest of the cam lobes). I see mainly references to BMW B58 motors, but it could work in theory on any cam driven pump.

You then increase the shim thickness under the bucket to take up the slack.

This assumes that there’s enough extra travel available in the stock HPFP to make it work, and it won’t completely destroy the pump in the process. From the look of it, the B58 can handle an additional 40% lift (and this additional flow). However this might only be compatible with an aftermarket pump
In the first place. I doubt there’s that much overhead in our stock pump. The way to find out would be to do a full travel measurement on the pump with the cam removed with a dial indicator, and then compare with the min and max lift measurements with the cam installed

if it did, it would be a much cheaper option than a whole new pump. A couple hundred for a reground OEM cam + core plus an extra shim for the bucket.

Note, if you regrind your original cam, you just have to reshim the HPFP bucket which is where this mod shines, but swapping out for a new cam core requires readjusting lash on the whole cam, which is a lot more work.

Last edited:
Member ID
From a cursory search it appears that some vehicles (not necessarily Fiesta ST), people have been regrinding stock cams to reduce the base circle on the HPFP cam lobe (without touching the rest of the cam lobes). I see mainly references to BMW B58 motors, but it could work in theory on any cam driven pump.

You then increase the shim thickness under the bucket to take up the slack.

This assumes that there’s enough extra travel available in the stock HPFP to make it work, and it won’t completely destroy the pump in the process, but if it did, it would be a much cheaper option than a whole new pump. A couple hundred for a reground OEM cam + core plus an extra shim for the bucket.

Note, if you regrind your original cam, you just have to reshim the HPFP bucket which is where this mod shines, but swapping out for a new cam core requires readjusting lash on the whole cam, which is a lot more work.
Plus the price of the jag pump.

Member ID
Member ID
I agree with the people in the post. A cam swap without the benefits of an upgraded cam? Just seems like WAY more work than needs to be done.