Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help me with my exhaust please

I have a 19 with the Cobb stage 3 kit and my exhaust is shot. The replacement is 10 weeks out. What else is comparable? Tia

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm wondering why a '19 would have a "shot" aftermarket exhaust.

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
I live in the northeast and I got second hand from my buddy. It already had about 25k on it. I put another 30k on it myself

XanRules

Really? Why? I'm genuinely curious because a prior owner installed a Mishimoto system on my car and I kinda like the way it sounds. Clearly there's no love for it here on the forum (it's not even a voting option on the big exhaust thread) and I've always wondered why.
Okay, not necessarily "junk." However, Mishimoto just imports cheap stuff from China and slaps their name on it before marking it up 500% or more.

Because the name sounds Japanese (they are not a Japanese company) and the products aren't terrible they've gotten an okay reputation from people who don't know better and think that they're another premium Japanese tuning house (this is by design, of course, and is deliberately misleading).

Now, to be clear, there's nothing wrong with Chinese parts or rebranding them for a profit - heck, Ron @ Whoosh doesn't make the Whoosh-branded stuff in house and he's very upfront about that (though he does do R&D on some stuff, which is also clearly noted). But I hold Mishimoto in particularly low esteem because they also do a bunch of phony-ass "R&D" blog posts on their website about all the parts they "fabricate in house" using their "dedicated team of engineers" when as far as I am aware none of that is true.

For example, a while back, someone on the Mustang forums who had acess to some pretty advanced measuring equipment wanted to prove a point and got both a $750 Mishimoto intercooler and a $100 intercooler from eBay. After careful analysis with a micrometer, analysis of the alloys used, etc, he concluded that the two were identical in every way, likely made in the same factory. Similar experiments were done 10-20 years ago on the WRX forums when Mishimoto first started releasing products.

So, they're misleading at best and dishonest at worst and I don't respect that.

Again, to be clear, cheap Chinese stuff is fine. I've got both a no-name Chinese eBay/AliBaba intercooler ($160) and radiator ($140) and they have been totally fine for me on a daily-driven car, but I wouldn't have paid 500% markup for the Mishimoto name. You don't get what you pay for with those margins.

Edited for clarity and a typo at 10:25am PST on 8/27/2024.

Last edited:
Okay, not necessarily "junk." However, Mishimoto just imports cheap stuff from China and slaps their name on it before marking it up 500% or more.

Because the name sounds Japanese (they are not a Japanese company, and "Mishimoto" roughly translates to "mountain that makes the sound of creaky wooden floorboards" in Japanese) and the products aren't terrible they've gotten an okay reputation with people who don't know better. Now, to be clear, there's nothing wrong with Chinese parts or rebranding them for a profit - heck, Ron @ Whoosh doesn't make a lot of the Whoosh branded stuff in house and he's very upfront about that (though he does do R&D on some stuff, which is also clearly noted). But I hold Mishimoto in particularly low esteem because they also do a bunch of phony-ass "R&D" blog posts on their website about all the parts they "fabricate in house" using their "dedicated team of engineers" when none of that is true. They're misleading at best and dishonest at worst and I don't respect that.

A while back, someone on the Mustang forums who had acess to some pretty advanced measuring equipment wanted to prove a point and got both a $750 Mishimoto intercooler and a $100 intercooler from eBay. After careful analysis with a micrometer, analysis of the alloys used, etc, he concluded that the two were identical in every way, likely made in the same factory. Similar experiments were done 10-20 years ago on the WRX forums when Mishimoto first started releasing products.

Again, cheap Chinese stuff is fine. I've got both a no-name Chinese eBay/AliBaba intercooler ($160) and radiator ($140) and they have been totally fine for me on a daily-driven car, but I wouldn't have paid 500% markup for the Mishimoto name. You don't get what you pay for with those margins.
TIL. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad I didn't pay for mine.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
10 minutes north of Morristown
I used to hang out a lot in the Parsippany area 12 years ago, back before I moved to Pennsyltucky (and then moved back to the Princeton area two years ago) while living in Springfield.

My son lives in Parsippany now, right off of Route 10.

OP
J
Thread Starter #16
I used to hang out a lot in the Parsippany area 12 years ago, back before I moved to Pennsyltucky (and then moved back to the Princeton area two years ago) while living in Springfield.

My son lives in Parsippany now, right off of Route 10.
Cool I'm in Boonton