Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel issue (maybe?)

BGFist99

Hey everyone, new here!
Decided I'd take to the forum of all things Fiesta to hopefully get an idea of if anyone else has experienced the same or something similar, or may be able to shed some light?

I've had my 2014 Fiesta ST MK7 for almost 3 years, my first hot hatch.

Decided I'd delve slowly into the modding scene, and got a cat-back Scorpion 3 inch non-res exhaust and had it installed close to 3 months ago, but since I've been experiencing an issue with the fuel gauge.
That's the ONLY modification made, the car is otherwise stock.

Issue:
Under power I'll notice the fuel needle go down somewhat quicker than it should, making it look like its using more fuel than normal.
Shortly after however, just sitting idling like normal the needle will then move back up to where it should be.

Its been serviced since, and I've had mechanics check the car over but no one can see anything wrong with anything engine or fuel system.

NOTE: The car seems to run fine otherwise. I've got no issues with power delivery, idle is fine, no smoke coming from anywhere or excessive heat.

Is it just a placebo effect of having a new exhaust on? Is it just me hallucinating?
A fair few people have said a cat-back exhaust shouldn't make much difference to fuel usage, despite the engine breathing slightly better.

Many thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited: