Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fresh Air for the Fiesta! ST Performance Intake R&D!

mishimoto1

Hey guys,

Along with our catch can, oil cooler, and aluminum radiator projects, we've also started developing an intake system for the FIST. Check out the details and progress on our engineering blog or posted within this thread!

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/category/ford-fiesta-st-performance-air-intake-2014/

Fresh Air for the Fiesta! ST Performance Intake R&D, Part 1: Stock Intake & Data Collection

Automotive passion has evolved over the years, and is still very much alive and well. A lot of this is a result of automakers continually bringing us the best in technology, innovation, and performance. Some will complain that modern automobiles are numb, boring, and full of complicated electronics and gizmos. Whatever your take on this is, one thing is certain. People still love cars, and the impulse to modify vehicles is as strong as it has ever been.

Take the Fiesta ST for example. A compact hatchback, front-wheel drive, economical vehicle. A few bolt-on modifications can turn this into a tire-shredding, corner-carving autocross monster. It is all in how you approach new technology. You can embrace it and take advantage of what we have available in today?s age, or you can curse electronic fuel injection, discredit independent rear suspension, and continue to rip around your hometown streets in your SBF-powered Cougar. Not that there is anything wrong with this. The key here is acceptance, tolerance, and appreciation for all forms of automotive passion.

With the ST, we have enthusiasts trying to eek out every last bit of power from the 1.6L. Suspension tuning is also a hot-topic for those looking to hit the track. Whatever the vehicle may be, optimal performance is always something enthusiasts will seek, and we are here to help these goals come true.

For this article series, we will be tackling a performance intake for the EcoBoost. An intake is a great entry into the world of wrenching and vehicle modification, one that typically provides instant results and is a fantastic value for your hard-earned cash.

Project Goals

Our primary goal with this project is to produce power. Power gains validate an expense made for a performance product, and we want to extract as much as we can from our intake setup. This can be completed by improving airflow and reducing restrictions in the path from the filter to the turbocharger inlet. Performance gains with an aftermarket intake are a bit of a sore subject for conversation, especially within online forums. Some believe claims of power improvements are ridiculous marketing gimmicks. Others see proven gains. Typically, it depends upon the vehicle and intake system in question. Some factory setups are simply ideal for a stock vehicle, which is what we saw during BMW N20/N26 intake testing. We are hoping to produce some form of power gains with this intake system, and we will be providing full details on our testing data and results. If we make power, fantastic. If we are unable to improve power through our design(s), then the benefits below will provide values themselves.

Most drivers consider engine sound a key feature when purchasing a cold-air or performance intake. This is especially true for turbocharged vehicles. Once the stock system is removed, a free flowing filter and air box system will amplify intake sound, which provides a more enjoyable driving experience. In the end, this is what we are seeking with any modification. With our recently designed intake systems, sound improvements have been quite substantial. Check out our behind-the-scenes YouTube videos for some awesome dyno testing videos.

We will also be working to isolate the filter from the engine bay. The compact and fairly crowded engine compartment of the ST sees some very high temperatures. We want to keep this away from the filter to optimize performance. Heat-soak is a true enemy of the Fiesta, and we want to do our best to reduce the impact of engine bay ambient temperature.

Lastly, if we are taking the time to design a power-adding intake that is highly visible in the engine bay, we will also be addressing aesthetics. This intake will not only perform and sound great, but it will also look fantastic within the engine bay of your ST.

Stock Fiesta Intake System Overview

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake

The intake system on the ST is pretty typical of a modern turbocharged vehicle, equipped with the basic components noted below.

• Turbocharger Inlet Pipe
  • Airbox Hose
  • MAF Housing
  • Airbox w/ Resonator
  • Cold-Air Duct
We will cover each of these quickly in terms of the stock design, functionality and materials used.

Turbocharger Inlet Pipe

The induction pipe runs from the turbocharger compressor inlet up to the engine bay, eventually mating to the air box hose. The factory induction pipe is constructed from a thick plastic material in order to handle the heat produced in this portion of the engine compartment.

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake turbocharger inlet pipe

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake turbocharger inlet pipe

This piece features a port which accommodates the hose routing to the valve-cover breather for CCV operation. Additionally, the large mounting bracket secures this pipe to the top of the valve-cover, providing stability. The entry inner diameter measures at 2? and the exit enlarges to around 2.35?.

Airbox Hose

The turbocharger inlet hose connects to the rubber airbox hose. This piece provides a pathway between the inlet hose and the air box itself.

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake airbox hose

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake airbox hose

This piece features an accordion flex section to allow for engine movement during operation. It also includes a port which mates to lines running to the cold-side charge-pipe and throttle body. This port accepts a quick-disconnect fitting which will need to be incorporated into our design. The inner diameter of 2.35? is retained in this piece as well.

MAF Housing / Air Box Lid

The airbox lid on the Fiesta also functions as the MAF housing.

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake airbox lid

Opening up the box reveals a chamber with a velocity stack on the MAF housing portion. This smooth, trumpet-shaped piece will help streamline airflow through the intake system. We will also be including a velocity stack feature in our intake design.

Stock Fiesta ST intake airbox lid velocity stack

Below is a closer look at the MAF sensor incorporated into this piece. This component also houses the IAT sensor for the 1.6L EB.

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake MAF sensor

Although the ST is a MAP-based vehicle, the MAF unit is still in place to read temperature. Our intake design will need to incorporate a MAF flange to accept the factory unit. An easy task completed for many of our intake systems.

Airbox / Resonator

And we?ve made it to the airbox unit itself, shown below.

Stock Fiesta ST intake air box assembly

This component houses the air filter and also accepts the cold-air duct. On top of this, the lower portion of the box functions as a resonator to smoothen airflow entering the engine. The air filter is a decent-sized piece, offering a larger surface area than most stock filters we see.

Stock Ford Fiesta ST intake air filter

Cold-Air Duct

The last component within the intake tract is the cold-air duct. This piece brings air from the front grille directly into the airbox. This is key in procuring ample cold airflow to the engine.

Stock Fiesta ST intake cold-air duct

Data Collection

Before launching into a full-on metal fabrication party, we need to develop a plan. This includes mapping out the dimensions of the stock intake piping.

We placed the factory airbox hose on our CMM table and started gathering some dimensions.

Stock Fiesta ST intake air box hose on CMM table

Stock Fiesta ST intake air box hose on CMM table

Coming Up!

Check back next time for a look at the fabrication and plans for our intake piping. This will include both the turbocharger inlet pipe as well as the airbox hose segments of the intake system.

Ford Fiesta ST intake fabrication

Thanks for reading!
-John

Wouldn't have been my first choice for your next item, given that the stock intake is actually pretty good. But, definitely in for updates!

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Nice read. Here's hoping we have an intake that actually makes some power. I'm somewhat skeptical since most intakes, at least for our cars, don't make much of anything but noise. Save for the 2j racing intake. Too loud for me. Good luck, and keep us posted

me32

1000 Post Club
Im glad to see you guys working on a CAI. I would like to see one made in the same material as the stock factory setup but a bigger tubing an add the heat reflective tape like they did to the factory tubing. It will help keep air temps down.

Interesting to see what you guys do. There are plenty of intakes available for our cars. but like someone else said, they're mostly noisemakers and engine dressup.

XuperXero

I already have the intake hose upgraded, but I'd be interested in the turbo inlet pipe...

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #8
Wouldn't have been my first choice for your next item, given that the stock intake is actually pretty good. But, definitely in for updates!
Thanks for the input! We have a ton of projects going on for the Fiesta, we haven't left much out. In fact, we are just starting up a few exhaust components as well.

Nice read. Here's hoping we have an intake that actually makes some power. I'm somewhat skeptical since most intakes, at least for our cars, don't make much of anything but noise. Save for the 2j racing intake. Too loud for me. Good luck, and keep us posted
Thanks for taking a look! Yes, being MAP-based, it is certainly possible we will not make any additional power on a stock or mildly modified vehicle. In that case, we can offer a nice improvement in sound as well as aesthetics. If we do extract some power, that would be fantastic. We shall see!

Wow you guies are going all in. I like your passion and fervor.
Sure are! Thanks for the kind words.

Im glad to see you guys working on a CAI. I would like to see one made in the same material as the stock factory setup but a bigger tubing an add the heat reflective tape like they did to the factory tubing. It will help keep air temps down.
Thanks for the feedback! I can already tell you our intake piping will feature a larger internal diameter than the stock setup, at least on our initial prototype. For now, we are planning to construct the piping from aluminum with a long wire-reinforced silicone section for the turbocharger inlet pipe. This could change in the future depending upon our testing results.

Interesting to see what you guys do. There are plenty of intakes available for our cars. but like someone else said, they're mostly noisemakers and engine dressup.
Thanks for the input Blackbird. Yes, we are fully aware this seems to be the case for the ST. That being said, we will be putting this on our DynaPack just to be sure the general consensus is true.

Thanks again guys!
-John

Your development and reasoning is second to none. I always respected your products, but I have a new found appreciation for the work that you guys do after watching your product threads. These may be the products that I start modding my car with (currently stock).

Thank you.

Rhinopolis

IMO a quality ceramic coated and catted high flow down pipe (no ceramic coated option that I am aware of currently exist) would be something that I am definitely interested in.

I don't like exhaust wraps, and I have had (and have presently) some nice ceramic coated and catted high flow headers on other vehicles that even though are more expensive, are worth the extra money to me due to the reduced under hood temps and better heat retention inside the actual header.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #11
Your development and reasoning is second to none. I always respected your products, but I have a new found appreciation for the work that you guys do after watching your product threads. These may be the products that I start modding my car with (currently stock).
Thank you.
Thank you very much for the kind words Cesso!

IMO a quality ceramic coated and catted high flow down pipe (no ceramic coated option that I am aware of currently exist) would be something that I am definitely interested in.

I don't like exhaust wraps, and I have had (and have presently) some nice ceramic coated and catted high flow headers on other vehicles that even though are more expensive, are worth the extra money to me due to the reduced under hood temps and better heat retention inside the actual header.
Thanks for the input here! We are in the process of developing our downpipe and cat-back exhaust. We are likely to offer both catted and non-catted setups for the downpipe. We have yet to discuss the finish/coating options for this particular piece, but I will certainly pass the recommendation on to our team.

Thanks again!
-John

TheStig

IMO your best option is to purchase what you like and have Jet Hot give it the treatment. Only issue may be the flexible section on many of the downpipes our cars use.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Rhinopolis

^ True, but it's nice to order through a vendor and have them take care of all of that and send me a finished product.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #14
^ True, but it's nice to order through a vendor and have them take care of all of that and send me a finished product.
A fully finished product is always a more convenient purchase for customers, completely understood. We typically only offer our exhaust in a stainless finish, but perhaps we can consider coatings for this project and future components. Certainly passing this on to the team here.

We should have an update on this intake system next week!

Thanks for the interest guys!
-John

TheStig

I completely agree, just hard for a big company like Mishimoto to offer 3 different finishes for exhaust systems especially when only afew will want them Ceramic Coated. Just a logistical thing is all.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #16
Project update! Check it out below.

Fresh Air for the Fiesta! ST Performance Intake R&D, Part 2: Prototype Piping Fabrication

Now that we had a ton of information and data points for the stock intake system, it was time to begin creating our own design.

Piping Fabrication

We?re starting our intake system at the turbocharger and working to the airbox. We intend to place our box in the same location as the stock unit so we can take advantage of the stock cold-air duct.

We switched on the band saw, fired up the welder, and started tackling the route for our prototype pipe. Our first length runs from the turbocharger around to the rear of the valve cover.

Prototype Fiesta ST parts

Prototype Ford Fiesta ST intake piping fabrication

Next we made the bend to turn the pipe around the engine toward the front of the vehicle.

You will also notice that we?ve added a bracket that attaches the pipe to the valve cover for support. This bracket incorporates the stock rubber grommet to provide flex and isolation during engine movement. Here is a close-up shot of the bracket!

Prototype Fiesta ST intake pipe bracket

The route to the airbox location was then completed.

Prototype Fiesta ST intake piping fabrication

We then installed the stock engine cover to ensure that our piping would not interfere with fitment.

Prototype Ford Fiesta ST intake piping engine cover fitment

Our air filter was mocked into place to provide an idea of the space needed for developing our airbox.

Prototype Fiesta ST parts installed

We then had our full intake piping tacked up and nearly ready for final welding.

Prototype Ford Fiesta ST intake piping tacked

On this first prototype we also addressed the two CCV lines that mate to the stock intake pipe. We turned each fitting on our lathe and incorporated them into our piping in an appropriate location.

Prototype Fiesta ST intake CCV connection

Time to weld our prototype! This piece will be used for our product testing later down the road, so each connection point needs to be sealed properly.

Welding prototype Ford Fiesta ST intake pipe

And just like that, we have a functional prototype intake pipe!

Wait a tick?.some of this pipe is gone. I could have sworn the first portion of the pipe was quite a bit longer. Aha! We have a plan for this. We intend to design the turbocharger inlet hose using a wire-reinforced silicone hose. This will make installation a touch easier and will allow for a smooth and gradual increase in the inner diameter from the turbocharger compressor outlet to our large intake pipe.

Also, we will be making a prototype silicone piece in-house so that we can test this system as soon as possible. You guys will be getting an inside look at how silicone hoses are made, from start to finish. Pretty cool stuff on the way!

Thanks for reading!
-John

My question now is are you worried about heatsoke? I have read that people with the InGen intake have seen that and with this sample intake being made out of medal wouldn't the same thing happen? I could be wrong just had to ask. Thanks

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
My question now is are you worried about heatsoke? I have read that people with the InGen intake have seen that and with this sample intake being made out of medal wouldn't the same thing happen? I could be wrong just had to ask. Thanks
I have Injen intake. No heat soak ever.