Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST autocross accident

Reliable stock? Yes. Modding decreases reliability but even so they are still reliable then.

Overheating isn't necessarily a problem with stock FiSTs.

The clutch is fine but what is weak is the slave cylinder. It lets fluid pass when it gets old/hot/fluid is old and the pedal can stick down (you can easily pull it back up with your toe and then it still works). New brake and clutch fluid and a pressure bleed is a definite must.
"Regularly" flushing that fluid isn't a bad idea. But you don't have to. Once every few years should suffice. I personally like the idea of once every 30k miles.

The RE71RS is usually considered the better track tire. It requires some warmup, but once up to temperature has good grip and maintains it.
The A052 doesn't require getting warmed up to have maximum grip. This can make it better for autocross since it can go full out right from having been sitting in the parking lot waiting.

The suggestion you're getting here is to run a few events on whatever the car has on it now just to get a feel for the car. Then buy the TW200 tire in stock size (205/40R17) and run that. Personally I'd run the A052 if autocross is your main goal. It's still competent and fast on the track if you get a chance to run a track day too.

I'd also consider leaving the traction control on for autocross, at least at first. That's how they had us run the cars at Ford Performance Racing School for the ST Octane Academy, both in the Urbancross and on the track.
Thanks. Out of the 3 options, fully on, sport mode and completely off. Which one do you recommend?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Thanks. Out of the 3 options, fully on, sport mode and completely off. Which one do you recommend?
I'd start out with it full on. I got the third fastest time at ST Octane Academy, despite having hardly ever driven a Fiesta ST (it's my wife's car) before we went, and we ran everything with traction control full on. It really helps you out of some situations where you might have gotten too sideways. And I suspect sideways is part of rolling over.

Full off unless it’s raining. You’ve got autox experience, it’ll be fun. Keeping any tc on will just be frustrating. Best to learn at the limit with no interventions.

Btw, what wheels are you running? Lightweight?

I want to thank everyone for the advice.

Not to change the topic of the thread. But other than overheating and wear and tear. Would you guys say the fiesta st is pretty reliable?

I plan on getting the fluids flushed and running the heater before, during and after runs.

How strong is the clutch? They’re pretty weak on vw’s.
Overheating has been an issue for me, even with the heat on. You can get a 180f thermostat which helps.

Cars are reliable for this sort of abuse - or there isn’t an obvious weak point that’s been identified for these short runs across many cars.

Full off unless it’s raining. You’ve got autox experience, it’ll be fun. Keeping any tc on will just be frustrating. Best to learn at the limit with no interventions.

Btw, what wheels are you running? Lightweight?
Still shopping around. But I’m looking at 15 inch oz racing to daily drive. Oem wheels to autocross.

Overheating has been an issue for me, even with the heat on. You can get a 180f thermostat which helps.

Cars are reliable for this sort of abuse - or there isn’t an obvious weak point that’s been identified for these short runs across many cars.
I haven’t read the 2024 rules. But are thermostat upgrades allowed on h street?

Still shopping around. But I’m looking at 15 inch oz racing to daily drive. Oem wheels to autocross.
Interesting. If you’re looking to be competitive might be good to get lightweight wheels and daily drive the OEM’s. You can shave almost 10 pounds of unsprung mass per wheel fairly cheaply with RPF1s. And 16 inch wheels are cheaper since you’ll chew through them if you’re competing often.