Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST autocross accident

205/45/17 tires. But idk if I’m asking for trouble with that tire size. Also, are the re 71rs or a052 too much tire for a fiesta st with stock suspension?
That is a lot of sidewall and additional CG for AutoX. The ‘stones are great so I would honestly be worried at that height. Go stock 40 series, or down to a 215/45/16 if you can get wheels for it— it’s a very light setup.

do you have experience with the car at an event? If not I’d just run what you have for now and get a feel for it.

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

So it’s been almost 4 years since the original post. Has there been anymore tipping accidents while autocrossing? Seems like the track guys are having no issues.

I just got a 2019 fiesta st with a moonroof. I was originally thinking about using 17 inch wheels with 205/45/17 tires. But idk if I’m asking for trouble with that tire size. Also, are the re 71rs or a052 too much tire for a fiesta st with stock suspension?

I’ve read a few threads on this forum and posts on the Facebook groups. But nobody seems to discuss this subject.

Thanks
Why would 17" wheels be an issue? I run that size and it feels secure, especially after lowering it an inch or so.

Why would 17" wheels be an issue? I run that size and it feels secure, especially after lowering it an inch or so.
If you’re in H Street you can’t lower it. It’s more the 45 series tire he’s suggesting that’s the issue. A 40 series with 17s would be fine.

I guess I forgot to mention I’m thinking about competing in h street next year.

I also autocrossed for 9 years but haven’t in the last 4. I have experience with a mk5 gti, c6 and c7 corvettes. So I didn’t put a lot of thought about cars flipping on their side until I bought the fiesta.

Last edited:
I autocrossed for years and I did see a lot of fwd hatchback being tripods for a second or 2.
Tripod is normal for a FWD driven hard. I never worry about when on three wheels. Two wheels is an entirely different situation and it does happen sometimes with a Fiesta in autocross, but its exceedingly rare. Lot of it depends on your tires and driving style.

Next year will change in street class. I think there is a rule change coming about shocks in Street class. Might want to check on that. I would stick with the OEM wheel and tire sizes.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I run stiffer than stock suspension, I 3 wheel the car every run. I have been told that I've had it on 2 wheels on occasion (I could not tell while driving). 2 years ago, a novice driver rolled a fiesta at a neighboring autoX course. These cars can roll but it takes a combo of sticky tires and a series of steering inputs that gets the car to rock side by side a couple of times (more so than a standard slalom)

If you are extra concerned, get a feel of the car autocrossing with a more street oriented tire. Move on to the A052's or similar once you have that comfortable feeling.

I guess I forgot to mention I’m thinking about competing in h street next year.

I also autocrossed for 9 years but haven’t in the last 4. I have experienced with a mk5 gti, c6 and c7 corvettes. So I didn’t put a lot of thought about cars flipping on their side until I bought the fiesta.
You’ll be great. Send it - but please don’t get 205/45s. That could be dangerous. 40 series will be fine

Tripod is normal for a FWD driven hard. I never worry about when on three wheels. Two wheels is an entirely different situation and it does happen sometimes with a Fiesta in autocross, but its exceedingly rare. Lot of it depends on your tires and driving style.

Next year will change in street class. I think there is a rule change coming about shocks in Street class. Might want to check on that. I would stick with the OEM wheel and tire sizes.
Can you link to this discussion? Are they going to allow spring changes / coil over as well? That could be really interesting!

I’m going to leave the suspension stock for a year to learn how the car actually handles. Then I’ll decide if it needs to be upgraded. Don’t want to make a bunch of changes. And not be able to tell if it improved the car or made it worse.

Yeah, I think I’m gonna use the oem wheels next year. I want to daily nice wheels instead.

Last edited:
I run stiffer than stock suspension, I 3 wheel the car every run. I have been told that I've had it on 2 wheels on occasion (I could not tell while driving). 2 years ago, a novice driver rolled a fiesta at a neighboring autoX course. These cars can roll but it takes a combo of sticky tires and a series of steering inputs that gets the car to rock side by side a couple of times (more so than a standard slalom)

If you are extra concerned, get a feel of the car autocrossing with a more street oriented tire. Move on to the A052's or similar once you have that comfortable feeling.
So from the research I’ve done. It seems there’s 2 top 200 tw tires. One is the re 71rs and a052 being the other one. So you’re saying that the a052 is not as sticky or aggressive as the Bridgestone?

Here’s my options for oem size, 205/40/17. 1, a052. 2, rt660.

If I go with 215/40/17, I have 6 options. 1, Dunlop direzza III, 2, rt 615k, 3, a052, 4, rt660, 5, nakang sportnex cr-s and 6, advan neova ad09.​

Out of all those options. Which tires would be the most competitive and not worry me about flipping the car.

Thx

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The RE71RS is usually considered the better track tire. It requires some warmup, but once up to temperature has good grip and maintains it.
The A052 doesn't require getting warmed up to have maximum grip. This can make it better for autocross since it can go full out right from having been sitting in the parking lot waiting.

The suggestion you're getting here is to run a few events on whatever the car has on it now just to get a feel for the car. Then buy the TW200 tire in stock size (205/40R17) and run that. Personally I'd run the A052 if autocross is your main goal. It's still competent and fast on the track if you get a chance to run a track day too.

I'd also consider leaving the traction control on for autocross, at least at first. That's how they had us run the cars at Ford Performance Racing School for the ST Octane Academy, both in the Urbancross and on the track.