Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine noise driving me crazy

Hi all,

Owned my fiesta st180 for almost a year now and loving it the only thing that’s driving me nuts is the idle noise it sounds like the car is broken it doesn’t sound healthy to me at all. I know the engine is supposed to be ticky but I’m not sure if my noise is normal or not and just looking for some advice.

I’ve attached a video of the idle here.

Attachments

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
That's normal, the ticking is the injectors firing. Direct injection injectors are fairly noisy.
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I did think the ticking is normal but seems to be a sort of chugging noise behind the ticks, maybe it's nothing but this car just makes me embarrassingly paranoid.

I'm not 100% sure what the "chugging" noise is, but mine does the same thing. You'll get to used to it after a while, my car has made the same noises since day one and I've had it since September of 2013.

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
if you have a small ticking sound you can do a couple of thing.. change the brand of motor oil and use about 2 teaspoons of gumout engine tune at every oil change. oil your alternator (NOT the belt)

Edited: Correct product listed.

Last edited:
OP
G
Thread Starter #7
if you have a small ticking sound you can do a couple of thing.. change the brand of motor oil and use about 2 teaspoons of gunk engine tune at every oil change. oil your alternator (NOT the belt)
Thanks dude, do you have a recommendation for gunk engine tune? Never really heard of it before.

OP
G
Thread Starter #8
Had the car since new in July ‘14 and it’s the same industrial sowing machine sound as day 1. 5w30 oil might dampen it a bit, but don’t expect a massive difference.
Thanks man, that's what I've been reading but really affects my enjoyment of the car as I'm too paranoid. Sure I will get used to it and everyone's responses here are helping my confidence with it.

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
One of the main things that help us with our 2.0L is by changing the brand of oil. for years we've used either Mobil 1 or Castrol and both tended to allow for slight pings or knocks. We've since change up to the Motul brand with motul's support. but once in a while I can hear a faint sound of a pink or tick.. adding 1 or 2 tea spoons of the *Gumout Engine Tune after each oil change can or could eliminate these strange noises or at least in our case. if you're doing a routine maintenance, check the belt and alternator pully. A 3 in 1 oil added within the alternator etc will help reduce the wear on these companies etc if at some point they got wet. I mean ideally it's best to actually clean the engine at least twice a year. We've had several mechanics tell us our 2.0L runs very quite for 70K miles. Plus too, just to add.. the fuel one is using can cause these type of pings or ticks..

Had the car since new in July ‘14 and it’s the same industrial sowing machine sound as day 1. 5w30 oil might dampen it a bit, but don’t expect a massive difference.
Thicker oil might damp some of the valvetrain noise (including the HPFP activating tappet) and minor piston slap (if there is any of that), but it will not do a thing for the noisy direct injectors themselves, at all.