Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

disappearing mileage display?

sgriff0081

Active Duty U.S. Navy
my 2016 STs mileage display numbers are disappearing, reappearing and most times incomplete and randomly it'll work fine. i have no other issues with the display or any other part of the cluster. haven't found any loose wires, battery is good, even disconnected power for the night . I'm at a loss as to what's causing this, hopefully someone here may have some incite.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
1726936383736.png

I remember the old 1980s LED displays (and watches) that would have random bars that went missing. Had to take them apart and cleanup the contacts between the PCB and LED panel. Often the silicon/rubber conductive pads were the culprit, if not the mountings that held it all in place.

Modern LEDs are of course constructed differently and are more reliable. But they're not infallible. You may just have a failing display -or- failing solder joints on the PCB that need to be touched up. If it is just failing solder joints and you can get to them, that's an easy fix. "Silver bearing" solder is the easiest to use; and is very reliable because it still contains a small amount of lead.

I believe you can still read mileage via OBD-II link. So it's not really a show-stopper. It does however make tracking maintenance intervals more difficult.