Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dealer says new engine

To make a long story short, 2 weeks ago I got a bad missfire in cylinder number 3.
I checked the spark plug and the tip was practically melted off as well as the inside ceramic being cracked and broken off. I put it back together and took it to the dealership since I still have my extended warranty. Dealer did a compression test and I'm low compression on cylinder number 3, as well as exhaust valve broken and scoring of the cylinder walls.
Tech recommended new engine but service advisor said the extended warranty might not cover it since I didn't keep track of my oil changes with receipts and pictures (I know dumb of me) this was yesterday 8/3. I'm waiting to see what warranty says going forward.
Now my question, if they decide to not cover it what would be my best route to go? a new (used) engine from eBay? can I rebuild the head and install new valves altogether?
I have heard and read of these engines being really good strong engines. So can I get away with a head rebuilt if needed? the engine has 42k miles on it so I wonder if its worth salvaging if dealer denies me.
and since everyone asks the mods are as follows,
mbrp exhaust
woosh intercooler
Cobb cold air intake
NGK LTR17X sparkplugs.
I bought the car with all these mods at 27k miles last year.
I added a stage 2 tune that has been removed as of now.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The spark plug melts after the exhaust valve has. The cause was most likely detonation due to the tune/fuel quality. Based on that, not the lack of oil change documentation, I would refuse warranty replacement if I were the extended warranty company.

Although you might only need a new valve, more than likely there is head damage/cracking. And the block needs work if there is cylinder damage. Saving the engine is possible but could require extensive work.

I am curious since I have almost the same setup and I have the Ford CSP extended warranty as well. Which stage 2 tune are you running? Cobb? Also, did you remove the tune before you took it to the dealer? Did they say anything about the aftermarket parts or a tune being installed?

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
The spark plug melts after the exhaust valve has. The cause was most likely detonation due to the tune/fuel quality. Based on that, not the lack of oil change documentation, I would refuse warranty replacement if I were the extended warranty company.

Although you might only need a new valve, more than likely there is head damage/cracking. And the block needs work if there is cylinder damage. Saving the engine is possible but could require extensive work.
Extensive work that seems to equal the price for a new engine, it seems. I haven't gotten a. Update from the dealer as of now but still have fingers crossed

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
I am curious since I have almost the same setup and I have the Ford CSP extended warranty as well. Which stage 2 tune are you running? Cobb? Also, did you remove the tune before you took it to the dealer? Did they say anything about the aftermarket parts or a tune being installed?
Yes I was running a cobb stage 2 tune. It was removed about 2 weeks before i took it in to the dealer. They did not mention any issues with the aftermarket parts since I bought the car like that from them. I took it to a different ford dealer a few months back and they refused to work on it because the mods. So I drive the extra miles to take it to the dealer I bought it from. As with the tune they didn't ask and I didn't tell.

WannabeST

kinda off topic, but I had a friend blow up his GR86 on a canyon drive. The car was never tracked and it only had about 25k miles on it. Dealership denied his warranty and he paid for a new engine out of pocket all because the car was never serviced at a dealer, he was doing his own oil changes at home. The dealership did not charge him for labor at least. This can strongly depend on the dealership. Because while that friend was bone stock. I have a friend who blew his Gr86 up at around 35k miles. He took the blown Gr86 with coilovers, exhaust, wheels, and a wing to a his local Toyota and they didn't mention anything about the mods and swapped his engine for free. He did do all his services with the dealership and that car had also seen the track around 3-4 times.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is one reason I always take my car to the dealer. I have a folder showing every penny I've spent on this car in 10yrs. File is about 1" thick!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Los Feliz (In the City of Angels) aka Los Angeles
kinda off topic, but I had a friend blow up his GR86 on a canyon drive. The car was never tracked and it only had about 25k miles on it. Dealership denied his warranty and he paid for a new engine out of pocket all because the car was never serviced at a dealer, he was doing his own oil changes at home. The dealership did not charge him for labor at least. This can strongly depend on the dealership. Because while that friend was bone stock. I have a friend who blew his Gr86 up at around 35k miles. He took the blown Gr86 with coilovers, exhaust, wheels, and a wing to a his local Toyota and they didn't mention anything about the mods and swapped his engine for free. He did do all his services with the dealership and that car had also seen the track around 3-4 times.
Ya when it comes to warranty stuff dealers like to see records of scheduled maintenance. I will take my GR to Toyota for at least some of the beginning oil changes and will keep records of stuff outside of Toyota. GR86‘s actually have an oil starvation issue under hard cornering. Thats a known fact. That’s on Suburu as well as well it’s a Subie in disguise 😂. Though ya the main thing with warranty work is A: go to a dealer that is performance oriented whenever possible and B: research the dealers for ones that are known for good service .

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The two dealers I used for servicing etc never said a word about mods. I do NOT frequent the original dealer for various reasons but my current one does any work, no questions asked.