Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant on spark plugs.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
My day has come. A mix of oil and coolant on my plugs. Car seemingly has been driving fine except I noticed white smoke at start up, and my coolant reservoir constantly needs refilling.

Spark plugs are laid out in the same position they were in the car. Passenger side on the left was difficult to loosen and smells strongly of sweet coolant. #3 smells like carbon.

Attachments

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Pushing 166k. New spark plugs went in fine. I thought #1 may have stripped because it was so tough to get out. Going to switch back to 93 and not go WOT until I can get it to a shop and see what the damage is. I know repairs are overall cheaper than a new car, but I won't lie, a new DD was sounding kinda nice.

Has the car ever been overheated? Did you do the head recall for that year? Also what tune were you running?

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Has the car ever been overheated? Did you do the head recall for that year? Also what tune were you running?
Car has never overheated (and I live in Texas), I don't believe this car was ever recalled for the head, and I've been running mostly E30 for the past 4 years.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had this happen on my Mazda5 minivan back in 2018. The remedy was replacing the valve cover gasket. Also replaced the ignition coil that was ruined by the coolant leak.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Shop confirmed exhaust gases in the coolant system. They haven't gotten me a price yet, but he said either way, bad head gasket, or cracked cylinder, they won't know until they pull the head. Should have a price tomorrow. Not sure this car is worth going through the trouble for besides the fact it's paid off.

I've seen stock K series accords that have needed head gaskets in under 200k miles. Out of millions of engines produces theres bound to be a few that don't hold up. Being modded it's a roll of the dice how long any engine lasts when pushed beyond it's intended output. If you like the car, as I love mine, I would just slap in a used Escape 1.6l T engine. I find those all day for 1400 or so. Even Fiesta St motors can be found at that price, just not as many come up in searches.

I keep one on the stand in my garage just in case. Can be back up and running in 24hours.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I've seen stock K series accords that have needed head gaskets in under 200k miles. Out of millions of engines produces theres bound to be a few that don't hold up. Being modded it's a roll of the dice how long any engine lasts when pushed beyond it's intended output. If you like the car, as I love mine, I would just slap in a used Escape 1.6l T engine. I find those all day for 1400 or so. Even Fiesta St motors can be found at that price, just not as many come up in searches.

I keep one on the stand in my garage just in case. Can be back up and running in 24hours.
I got quoted just shy of $7k just to replace the headgasket.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would expect that when the effing dealership wants to charge me almost $350.00 just to flush out the clutch and brake fluid systems, with MY supplied fluid no less, just labor!!! [crazyeye][ohcrap]

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
At a dealership? That's astronomical. Much more cost effective to just swap long blocks.
No, another shop we've used for more minor things. I called the dealership and they said it sounded high to them.

🤣🤣^^^ Been there done that. Lol. Motor mounts on a Mercedes 4matic S-class? I’ll pass. 10k!

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
🤣🤣^^^ Been there done that. Lol. Motor mounts on a Mercedes 4matic S-class? I’ll pass. 10k!
I just picked it up and the guys at the shop said the labor of taking the motor apart is more than just dropping in another motor. I think they’re not interested in doing that kind of work.