Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch pedal stuck to the floor

Well, guess what happened to my fiesta ST yesterday lol ?!

I just parked my car at home in reverse when the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. Impossible to go in neutral or any gear. One week before they can do a diagnosis since all the workshops around are overbooked. Two weeks to wait before any repair can be done on the car.
The clutch cable probably broke.
The tow truck comes this morning to pick up the car and send it to the nearest Ford dealership.

I'll update you when the car is fixed.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Well, guess what happened to my fiesta ST yesterday lol ?!

I just parked my car at home in reverse when the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. Impossible to go in neutral or any gear. One week before they can do a diagnosis since all the workshops around are overbooked. Two weeks to wait before any repair can be done on the car.
The clutch cable probably broke.
The tow truck comes this morning to pick up the car and send it to the nearest Ford dealership.

I'll update you when the car is fixed.
These cars are hydraulic. There is no cable for the clutch.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Stuck and you couldn't pull it back up? Typically the problem is the slave cylinder gets sticky, but you can pull it back up, even with your foot while driving, and it can go on for quite a long time intermittently before you have to fix it.

OP
Yoann01ST
Thread Starter #5
Stuck and you couldn't pull it back up? Typically the problem is the slave cylinder gets sticky, but you can pull it back up, even with your foot while driving, and it can go on for quite a long time intermittently before you have to fix it.
I could pull it back up but when i barely push it, it goes straight down to the floor. I also couldn't change any gear with the engine turned on.
Do you know how much it costs to replace the slave cylinder ? I just got my car towed to the Ford dealership but they can't take a look until next week.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I could pull it back up but when i barely push it, it goes straight down to the floor. I also couldn't change any gear with the engine turned on.
Do you know how much it costs to replace the slave cylinder ? I just got my car towed to the Ford dealership but they can't take a look until next week.
The cost to replace the slave cylinder is the same as to change the clutch. The transmission has to come out (the slave cylinder is inside the transmission case) so while you're paying for that you might as well change the clutch (and vice versa) and you should also get a clutch and brake fluid flush and fill. At that point if you really want to go all out you spend another $150 on a new clutch pedal which is also the master cylinder.

OP
Yoann01ST
Thread Starter #9
The cost to replace the slave cylinder is the same as to change the clutch. The transmission has to come out (the slave cylinder is inside the transmission case) so while you're paying for that you might as well change the clutch (and vice versa) and you should also get a clutch and brake fluid flush and fill. At that point if you really want to go all out you spend another $150 on a new clutch pedal which is also the master cylinder.
The thing is that the previous owner had the clutch replaced early this year. So it probably needs 'only' a new slave cylinder, maybe also a master cylinder and a fluid flush.
I'll see what they suggest and how much they ask.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The thing is that the previous owner had the clutch replaced early this year. So it probably needs 'only' a new slave cylinder, maybe also a master cylinder and a fluid flush.
I'll see what they suggest and how much they ask.
Did the PO do the work himself? If it was done at a shop replacing the clutch and not the slave cylinder at the same time is practically criminal. It's a $100 part on what could be over a $1000 job depending on the shop.

Did the PO do the work himself? If it was done at a shop replacing the clutch and not the slave cylinder at the same time is practically criminal. It's a $100 part on what could be over a $1000 job depending on the shop.
The same could be said of the 'criminality' of not flushing out at least the clutch hydraulic system at the same time as the clutch change, if not the brake system as well. [wink]

The Slave Cylinders are Chinesium, which means they have Chinesium Throwout bearings. Mine went at 30,000 miles so I had it replaced under warranty. Because it was remotely possible that a bad clutch disk might be an issue I had to approve the 1546.00 cost to remove and re-install the transmission. That was in 2022 and I fully expect that R&R cost is much more today, probably in the range of 1800 dollars. At some point I expect that I will have to replace the clutch in my car. I am budgeting 3000 dollars for this service.

Now about roller and ball bearings. Any flaw in a roller or ball will result in shortened bearing life. When that bearing starts to fail it will generate increased heat. In the case of the Fiesta ST that excess heat in the Throwout Bearing is transferred to the Slave cylinder shaft. This leads to the shaft seal degrading and causes a sticky clutch pedal. Because of this I have made it a habit to put the transmission in neutral when waiting at a traffic light or stuck in traffic. Don't like doing this but I don't like the alternative a lot less. For those who claim this is unsafe, I used to ride a morocycle and as a result I watch my rearview every time I slow or stop. In 54 years of driving I have never been rear ended and have dropped the hammer on several occasions to avoid that type of hit.