Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CLOSED: Cyborg TurboCharger * NOT AVAILABLE *

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #781
Just in case anyone is wondering.... This twin wastegate stuff is NOT working... Ahhhhh... Wish I'd just closed off the internal Wastegate like everyone else,'but... Sometimes you never know until you try...

Siestarider

One of the greatest failures of modern science is lack of regard for the values of both disproving hypotheses and failures to prove hypotheses. Journals just don't want to print those study results.

Hotrodders have more sense and report what did not work as well as what does. This is why hotrodding is more fun and progresses faster. Well, in their defense, most scientists probably don't know enough to hotrod.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Cyborg upgraded stock Turbocharger system

So...are you running air to both ports???

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #784
So...are you running air to both ports???
I was actually running air to no points on the external. Letting it be opened by back pressure. With springs in it that opened up with 20psi going to the lower port on the bench, the external blew open at 20psi WITH NO HOSES on it on the car. I ran a bolt down it that limited its travel and it still cracked at 20psi and limited my peak boost to 23psi. I used the bolt to completely seal it this weekend while I did some canyon run type driving. Added 29psi with of springs yesterday AND limited its travel and its dropping my boost to 26-27psi peak. The main thing is, I don't think its making more power and its not pulling any more air through the mass air sensor ( 28-29lbs lbs min at 43 degrees last night vs 31lbs per min at 61-63 degrees the other night ).

I feel like I've done my part. It doesn't work.

But I learned more than "it does not work"

I can audibly hear the gate being shoved open by 20psi with no lines on it. What does that tell you about the 14-15psi internal gates? Prob being pushing open at 20psi as well.

I'm going to use a little different boost control setup on my external and see how that goes.

Also installing a tial diaphragm in my knock off gate today. Although... I wish I'd have saved the money, I'm not sure its needed anymore, kind of ordered it "in case shit". Like manifold studs, and downpipe bolts.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #785

This shows how I was experiencing the wastegate opening at 20psi WITH NO VACUUM LINES ON IT. Just the pure exhaust pressure on the valve pushed it open with 20psi on the intake.

This is how I plan to fix this issue.

This is the important part

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Cyborg upgraded stock Turbocharger system

That's odd that it opens like that. I have 16psi springs (15.95) and I can hear it opening right around there. But I see what you're doing now. One thing to note: the line from the BCS to the intake is a vent. It can be excluded without ill effect (at least on big turbo). I don't have it connected; it's VTA.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #787
Yea, I read that, but the inlets have it, so I use them, lol.

But your 100% correct on how its supposed to work in a "perfect world turbo setup". But the exhaust back pressures we see with such a difference in exhaust side vs comp side in the turbo means we see much higher pressures against the wastegate valve. Since your system is so "perfect", its prob running a 1 to 1 ratio of boost to back pressure. Even in stock form, the stock tune looks at exhaust back pressure via "inferred" reading which means "calculated", not actual pressures. So on modded tunes, that stuff is mostly killed so it doesn't effect things.

Anyway... We end up with so much back pressure, it over comes the valve/wastegate, WITHOUT the help of boost in the diaphram. That's why we had been going from a 5.5psi stock internal wg to a 14-15psi aftermarket with the cyborgs. The question is... Is the 14-15psi spring being pushed open at 20psi as well, and then boost is still just slowing creeping up from there? If that's the case, we could gain a lot by using this type setup.

Sorry, trying not to complicate but also explain and be transparent :)

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
This looks promising I may end up having to go ported stock manifold and ewg soon... I really want to see some very dynos before and after the ewg.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #789
The ONE OF A KIND !!! Sourskittle internal wastegate eliminator kit !!

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #792
It works, lol.
Ok... So I used my nasty looked thingy to lock down the internal wastegate arm, so its all on the external gate now.
Drove to get some Tee-fittings at the parts store with no vacuum lines and it made a peak boost pressure of 20.40psi.

Got to parts place and cobbled up some tee's in conjunction with some old oem fist vaccum lines and squeeze fittings stolen from 5-7-9 extra boost control solenoids I have.

Ran the lines like I posted earlier. And BAMMMM magic. 28.8psi peak.

The downside of course its that my boost map is all wrong, and the turbo tries to make 28psi above 6,000rpm still. Got some ugly corrections :(

So I need to tune in the boost map, which.... I had actually been planning for this. Cobb reset my damn boost map like 2-3 months ago with there latest firmware update, so if I changed anything in my tunes, I was also going to have to reset my boost map. (The old maps were not compatible with the new firm ware ). Now I have an excuse to do it either way.

Pulled 32lbs per min, lol.

Also check this out..

I also installed my tial diaphragm since I had the gate out/off again. Its odiously higher quality. But I wouldn't say its required at all. But here is the "dunk test" after this gate has been ran on my car for about 350miles. It does have 1 slow tiny bubble spot. It prob seals up when it warms up inside of in cold ass water. This was at like 25psi; the valve seal and guide did not leak at all. https://vimeo.com/152356752

Just messing with you.

Those results are awesome, I am anxious to see a V-dyno after you have got your boost map worked out.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #795
I prob won't be able to touch my 280-284whp pulls on E55 and meth.

But I expect 260whp or so on this E40

TempeST

Nice work SS!! hope it all works out well. Everything seems to be working out, even if its ugly. lol

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #797
Well... After I get caught up on customer builds, I'm going to completely ditch the internal gate and all its parts, I completely smooth out the turbine inlet. Just had to try the duel wastegate setup first

Sekred

1000 Post Club

This shows how I was experiencing the wastegate opening at 20psi WITH NO VACUUM LINES ON IT. Just the pure exhaust pressure on the valve pushed it open with 20psi on the intake.

This is how I plan to fix this issue.

This is the important part
Hi SS, this is how TurboSmart does there External gate with 2 port connection.

E Boost.jpg

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #799
Actually that turbo smart setup is backwards from how I'm doing it :)

Got 4 boost maps made to
Go flio through...

I made 258whp earlier with a lot of timing corrections and running out of fuel. I fattened it uo a point too.
Miss meth right now...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #800
On the first map, I was completely out of fuel.
aFR went into mid 15's.

Added 1.3 gal of gasoline,
But its only going to
Get me so far.
Making boost pretty fast though, think I saw 28psi at 4900rpm :0

Status
Not open for further replies.