Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broken Front Wheel Hub

I've seen in passing a few other members have had front wheel hubs come apart, so after having one explode myself last time at the track, I'm curious to see how many people have had it happen. IMG_20240902_152720344.jpg

It's hard to see from the picture but the outer flange did break all the way around as well as have 1 giant crack propagate all the way to the outside. Didn't make a sound or shake in the moment, my first indication something was wrong was my brake pedal going soft. (now I know it wasn't brake fade, it was the hub flopping around slapping the pistons in)

Either way, got a new hub and bearing from Ford and all is well now. Didn't see any early signs of failure on the other side, so I'm going to leave it for the time being. (will get a spare hub and bearing for the parts shelf though)

Just about 70k miles total with about 20 track days over the last 4 years.

I see your avatar pic seems to be at The Glen... Tell me that this hub failure did not happen going through the Esses? Were you able to get the car to a stop safely?

OP
arlisscm
Thread Starter #6
I see your avatar pic seems to be at The Glen... Tell me that this hub failure did not happen going through the Esses? Were you able to get the car to a stop safely?
Good eye, it is indeed at The Glen (it's my most local track), the failure happened (or at least finished happening) between turns 8 and 9. Went through 8 with no issues, was positioned for 9, went to the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. I got a little brake by pumping the pedal, then scrubbed some speed letting the rear end step out a little and made the corner. Luckily I was a short distance from pit lane (pit in after turn 10), and it was around 2/3 of the way through my last session of day 2, so I just pitted in and loaded up on the trailer.

I didn't have any indication that I had a major catastrophic failure, I just assumed I overheated my brakes. It was only once I had it jacked up at home to investigate that I found the carnage.

I will get a new hub and bearing to replace the other side, but it should be fine for the rest of this year. I don't daily the car anymore and only have 2 track days left this season. The likelihood of another catastrophic hub failure isn't super high. I'm likely swapping to a different front brake setup next season, so I'll do the other hub then.