Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bro keeps dying while slowing down

Hi, yes, I did make an account just to post this, but I've been reading various old posts regarding my baby's "issues."

So, a little background:
It's a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST w/ some sort of aftermarket intake (I didn't buy it; I can look if you absolutely wanna know) and a Stage 1 Tune run on 93. It has about 64,000 miles and I got a new battery probably 1k miles ago.

I bought it late September of 2023 from a used suburban ford dealership, and yes the engine light came on like that first week I had it, and no it's not warranted. L

I have a Cobb access port that came with the car, and I know that it has code P1450 (unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum) 24/7 and occasionally has P0420 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)) and P0456 (Evaporative emission system leak detected (very small leak)) but they haven't popped up in a couple of months.

Now: It typically drives as expected (sometimes it does the usual stalling after refueling thing); however, within the past 2 months, it began not turning over after refueling. It clicks but doesn't turn over, so I have to give it a couple of minutes and make sure I am also lightly pressing the gas when starting, and it works fine after that. I tend to run it until I have less than 20 miles pretty frequently and I was told that was likely the cause due to burning vapors.

Last Monday, I stopped at Tim Hortons on my way to work cause I had low blood sugar, and I noticed my car got really quiet. I looked at my dash, and it did the usual flash of Christmas lights when it stalls, and I thought it was on me. Except it kept doing it. I even got sick and didn't drive it after that for a week, but it did it today, too. When I'm slowing down or idling, it just dies, even if I'm moving. I am not even stalling because a message always pops up saying, "Press the clutch to start" when I stall. It just gets really quiet, and it only happens when I'm in neutral, so it doesn't "jump" like it does when stalling "manually." Also, my dad bought me some fuel injector and whatever cleaner and I put it in there this morning - no change. </3

Does anyone have any tips?

XanRules

Figure out what kind of intake you have and post a photo - there are known issues with some intakes, especially on 2016+ cars, causing issues with the evaporation system that contributes to stuttering and hesitation, and sometimes outright stalling, after filling up.

Also post whatever other modifications you have - who did your tune, how is it tuned, etc.

OP
G

GabzRK

Thread Starter #3
View attachment IMG_9657.jpeg View attachment IMG_9658.jpeg IMG_9659.jpeg
Here are some that I just took. As far as the tune, there was a set of stage 1, 2, and 3 with 87, 89, 93 available on the cobb. When I got it, it was set to 3 on 93. A quick google suggested that wasnt good for longevity if I only had an upgraded intake, so my bf suggested changing it to stage 1 on 93. Idk anything about tunes or the previous owner’s plans, so I’m unsure if that was preprogrammed or done somewhere and imported.

I did notice while driving home, it does rough idle when the gas is not actively being pressed and it’ll tend to do that until it ultimately stops or idles normally. 50% of stops or neutral periods are normal and 50% it dies.

Ford Community Posts