Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205 40r 17 84v what to get for a daily use

Shwitz

So I bought my fist a while ago, I need new tires and I was looking at whats on my car right now and its a 205 50 zr16 continental tires with some sparco assetto gara rims. I'm not car smart and was thinking of getting the stock recommended tire size so any help on what I should get would be nice. I saw on tire rack msw type 85 17x7 it says its factory diameter... Just any help would be nice, I need new tires and I can't be driving with the kids on these anymore

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm on my 3rd set of Lionhart stock sized tyres for $80 each. Why pay for a name brand and spend extra money?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Depending on where you are located in reference to whether or not you need all seasons, or have totally bombed-out, disgusting roads or not, you may want to stick with the 205/50-16s.

The Conti DWS-06+, Nitto Neo Gen, General G-Max AS07 among others are all very good, ultra high performance all seasons available in that size which can handle heavy rain, and even very light snow in some cases. [thumb]

With 205/40/17, there aren't a lot of choices anymore. In a performance summer tire, you're pretty much looking at the Yokohama Fleva v701 or the Firestone Indy 500s. It's possible to get Michelin PS5, but you might need to order from Canada.

There's nothing wrong with 16" wheels, it's not uncommon to downsize to save weight. For instance, your sparcos are 6lbs per corner lighter than the 17" MSWs. I have 205/45/16 Continental ECS 02. They're really good, highly recommend them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, as you already have decent to great (depending on anyone's opinion)16" wheels, why spend more coin yet buying 17s which are substantially heavier, and the tires for which are usually more $$$ as well?!?

OP
S

Shwitz

Thread Starter #6
Yes, as you already have decent to great (depending on anyone's opinion)16" wheels, why spend more coin yet buying 17s which are substantially heavier, and the tires for which are usually more $$$ as well?!?
I don't care if rims are heavier or lighter I'm not racing this car, I'm driving my kids to school going to work and back home. I was going to place the order but it said the tires and rims would arrive on different days. Now I'm confused to all hell because if they arrive on different days how would it be balanced and whatnot. I can use the 16s for winter or vice versa depending on how it feels. I just dont like these rims that much

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Did you inform Tire Rack that you wanted those tires mounted and balanced on THOSE wheels when you tried to place that order??

They will not do that unless specifically asked to do so, and will ship the items separately/'unmarried', if not.
I would speak to a rep on the phone, and NOT leave the order to site ordering chance. [wink]

That is a good looking wheel if you care nothing at all about their weight, and decent quality for that close out price, but order them soon if you want them, since there is not even a full set (only 2 left, unless they already deducted the stock of your pending order??) of the graphite silver left, and limited gloss black left.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider. 16" also have better ride quality. I was really surprised at the rise quality difference going from Indy 500s to Conti ECS 02.

Tire rack only has 2 of the MSWs in stock...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
With 205/40/17, there aren't a lot of choices anymore. In a performance summer tire, you're pretty much looking at the Yokohama Fleva v701 or the Firestone Indy 500s. It's possible to get Michelin PS5, but you might need to order from Canada.

There's nothing wrong with 16" wheels, it's not uncommon to downsize to save weight. For instance, your sparcos are 6lbs per corner lighter than the 17" MSWs. I have 205/45/16 Continental ECS 02. They're really good, highly recommend them.
I ordered Michelin Pilot sport 5s though Sam's Club here in the States. i specifically asked if the were on Intergalactic Back order. The Tech said NOPE will be in in 2 days..So we will see. Im hopeful and excited to try a new Summer Tire other than Falken 615k+. There also was a rebate of $70 off also.[driving]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Los Feliz (In the City of Angels) aka Los Angeles
Another thing to consider. 16" also have better ride quality. I was really surprised at the rise quality difference going from Indy 500s to Conti ECS 02.

Tire rack only has 2 of the MSWs in stock...
Extreme Contact Sport 02‘s are nice tires. Its what I currently have on my FiST.